Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Majorca roll call.
  • zippykona

It seems to be the STW destination of 2016.
    Where you going ,where you staying?
    I don’t know anything about the island except that Tramuntana has biking and nice looking beaches.
    Is there anywhere to stay with off roading on its doorstep that’s quite near a nice village? Ideally we would like a villa or a hotel with a sea view.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Alcudia, 3 weeks, might to get to ride a bike for a morning. Other than that full on, sugar fuelled, over excited, hyperactive toddler wrangling. Yay.

martinhutch

Here right now. Meh.
    Carry on… 🙂

Shred
    Free Member

I’m there in August for 2 weeks and will be taking my road bike with as usual.

I’m staying in Port Pollenca, which I prefer to Alcudia, at the Vila Concha sport hotel. Great facilities for bikes, good pools and a gym. Plus good pools for the kids.
    I’ll normally ride every second day, out early just before sunrise, taking one day to do a long ride (200km+ to Andratx).
    I can’t wait for my first descent of Sa Calobra!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zippy get cracking on the bookings. Majorca is very popular this year due to terrorism fears in Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. TV has been reporting heaving bookings there for months.

As above ride early before it gets too hot

teethgrinder

Here now with family, Tolleric all inclusive place. Awesome vfm and when you go out and about there’s roadies everywhere. Would love to bring the spitfire over one day and take to the hills.

DrP

I’m in Turkey right now..
    Bloody lovely country, green, lush.
    No bombs or bangs..yet… 😉

DrP

#cheapholiday #flakjacket

JAG

Just got back – I was there from 21st to 28th May 2016.

Me and a mate hired a Pinarello Razha from Pinarello Experience in Port de Pollenca. We had a Villa just outside Pollenca for 3 couples, 3 kids and one Mother in Law.

We did 150km over two days (Wed & Thu) including Luc, Sa Colabra and Formentor Lighthouse. Just under 3000 metres of climbing. Weather was 23-27 Celsius and mostly Blue skies. Factor 50 was applied and cake and coffee were consumed.

It was great fun 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Been there the passed few years to apartment in Puerto Pollensa, a villa near alcudia, a villa in Campanet and Club Pollentia Resort. Fancy a change this year so we’re going to a villa in Portugal.

No riding though, it’s nice to get a break.

Ginger
    Free Member

3.5 weeks until we go. Staying in an apartment in Gotmar near port de pollensa. We usually stay in and around pollensa but we were broken into last year and have gone off villas as a result.

Looking forward the baked pine smell up in the mountain colls. Mini ginger is practising her biking but the trailgator will be coming too, for some longer family rides I think. It helps slow Sanny down anyway 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrP we always used to go to Club Med at Palymie for May half term. From what I understand they kept the resort shut until this week to open it for Brit half term. They are offering 20% plus discounts on all holidays there. We didn’t book for Kemer this year.

zippykona

We are going to be staying here. Does anyone know if the green area above the dropped pin is any good for biking?

geoffj

Nothing booked yet, but probably a week in October depending on work.
    Early morning road rides before family stuff for me 😀

senorj

I’m off tomorrow to see family and stuff my face with paella amongst other things.Based near Son Servera , so Cala Bona for a promenade.Cycling unlikey.

julians
    Free Member

Puerto soller would be a good Base for cycling (Road or off road),otherwise pollenca or alcudia seem to be the default choice of the British cyclist( and British family holidaymaker),but really you could pick any of the area in and around the tramuntana range.

I’m next out there in 4 weeks, in the south West end of the island though,and no cycling for me,plenty of boating though.

johndoh
    Free Member

If I was to go back, I’d go to Soller. Beautiful place.

Rik
    Free Member

How are people booking holidays in Port Soller and Port Pollenca as they rarely come up on package holiday websites like Thomas Cook etc. Esp. Soller

Are you booking direct with the hotel and then getting flights separately?

Shred
    Free Member

I booked it all separately, direct with the hotel.

ianpv
    Free Member

End of July/early august, 2 weeks, Pollenca town (where my wife’s parents bought a house in the 70s – lucky us 🙂 ). Will hire a bike from probike hire in pollenca as usual (no way I’m taking a bike and children to the airport) but it’s going to be hot so will be getting up early to get a few miles in. Now the kids are in school the lovely september trips are no more.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I was to go back, I’d go to Soller. Beautiful place.

Completely agree, lovely place.

We book flights, accommodation and car separately. We always stay in villas or apartments anyway, although we did get a good deal at Club Pollentia a couple of years ago.

fasthaggis

Are you booking direct with the hotel and then getting flights separately?

Yes

(October though,would not go in summer)

zippykona

We booked an amazing looking villa through owners direct.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Just been to Camp de Mar for 3 nights with MrsOsoxo, done nothing but lie on a lounger or sit in bars and restaurants for the whole time.

Going to Cala D’or at the beginning of the school holidays with the kids, booked a lovely looking villa. Can’t wait 🙂

Pieface

I’m off on Sunday morning, staying in Port de Pollenca in an apartment over the road from Villa Concha (where we stayed last year, which is good but some of the rooms are a bit tired and maintenance is a bit slack – leaky air con units) and expect we’ll be using their pools for a token payment.

@Rik – we booked our apartment through Homeway and flights with Ryanair. We booked Villaconcha & flights through Jet2 last year.

Picking up a hire car to explore the beaches / mountains, hiring a bike for a day or 2 to head to Soller / Sa colabra. Missed out on the Bike Bus but hoping for a cancellation. Will be spending time at the beaches, maybe the waterpark in Alcudia, maybe a day trip to Palma.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

We’ve not been for a couple of years but Palma is on the list for a few lazy days in September. The city is small with some good bars and restaurants if you avoid the tourist trap rubbish.

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

@ paulosoxo
    Stayed in Cala D’or last year and hired a Pinarello carbon roadie from Moto Sprint near the harbour. They can/will fit pedals to suit you (I used MTB Shimano type as I didn’t know what bikes they had to hire until I got there) Due to illness I only got a couple of rides in but I’d highly recommend the road climb up to the monastery of Sant Salvador.
    Only one road up/down and descending on euro config brakes on the opposite side of the road is ‘interesting’

mooman
    Free Member

Early year visit is usually to Puerto Pollenca to do the usual Sa Calobra etc, but this year we gone to Gran Canaria to do VOTT.
    We be going back to Majorca in August to Cala d’Or. Beautiful place.
    Nice small rides to San Salvador for a beer, or longer ride up to Arta usually my schedule.
    I did not realise there was a bike hire by harbour … good to know

andyeez
    Free Member

Just got back from a week in Port de Pollenca staying at Puerto Azul apartments. Great spot for cycling from with huge basement facilities for bike storage etc. and good food. Cycled out to Formentor lighthouse one day and up to Coll de Femenia the next day. BH CF disc road bikes hired from 2GoCycling. Couldn’t fault them.

Going back in August to do Sa Colabra and more…

RustyMac

Pieface,

I am just back from a family holiday in Majorca, stayed in a villa between Pollenca and Port de Pollenca, there are some fantastic restaurants in both.

Port de Pollenca
    Osteria N15
    Centric
    Na Ruixa

Pollenca
    Restaurant il Giardino
    Clivia
    Centric Restaurant ( thisis the sister to the first one in Pore de P)
    Manzanas y Peras

All above are family friendly (catered for a 3 year old no probs)
    Highly recommend Palma aquarium if you have kids.

iainc

wondering about a week early October (Scottish School mid term) – how fickle is the weather likely to be at that time though ?

Would probably be Port de Pollenca, only as we have been there before, years ago, and I’d be hiring a road bike for some early morning rides before kids surface.

Pieface

Thanks Rusty Mac, we went to Pollenca on market day last year and it was great, will go back based on that inof.

We went in late September last year and you could tell the weather was turning. It was warm / hot on the fine days, but we did have a few cloudy, windy and rainy days. I think at that time of year you’ll be fine but are more likely to encounter the odd week of bad weather.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers @AlwaysHorizontal, do they do helmets etc, or did you take your own?

durhambiker
    Free Member

Off to Alcudia back end of September to support my Pirate mates doing the Ironman. Following their Lanzarote experience on social media was too much to bear so I’m joining this one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

wondering about a week early October (Scottish School mid term) – how fickle is the weather likely to be at that time though ?

We’ve been to Puerto Pollensa the last 3 october school holidays, generally had very good weather, temps in mid to high 20’s. Last year wasn’t quite so good and I think we had a couple of days of torrential showers. Still managed to sit outside Tolo’s most days for a beer though. Still plenty of riders out there acting all pro 🙂

Every time I go I think ‘I’ll hire a bike’, then think ‘nah I’ll just enjoy the rest before the onslaught of winter.

The weather does start to turn mid October though so you take your chances.

We went in late September last year

When we met the owner at our apartment she told us September had been pretty poor but the weather started to pick up again at the beginning of October.

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

I took my own helmet but I’m 98% sure they had lids. The bike came with a pump and spare tube too. They aren’t the biggest establishment so the selection is not huge so it may be worth either trying to get in touch prior to going over (I have seen that they have a Facebook page) or going in early on in the holiday to reserve a bike for later in the week.
    Tbh there wasn’t anywhere else local to hire anything that I found.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Going to Puerto pollensa in a months time. Can anyone recommend a good airport transfer company? Arriving lateish with young children so don’t want to faff about too much.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye.

mcgeordie
    Free Member

@supersessions we are in PP now and booked Conde for the transfer as good reports online. We were actually collected by Taxi Ten(?) standing in for Conde but very good service.

Staying at Villa Concha, someone mentioned above dodgy rooms, well they have all been renovated for 2016 season. Can’t really fault the place for a family holiday. Bike shop and hire in the hotel.

I’ll be up early before it gets to hot for my first ride of the holiday in the morning……

iainc

Just booked a week in school hols, 15th October, Fergus hotel & spa in PP. Would like to hire a road bike for a couple of early mornings – what do I need to know ? Never ridden there.

iainc

Road Bike hire recommendations and routes, I’m assuming the hire places can help with the latter,and maps etc ?

I guess i take helmet, shoes and pedals, are most hire road bikes setup UK brakes ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Majorca roll call.’ is closed to new replies.