Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Major service and upgrade or buy new
  • whiteyij
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I recently posted re some new wheels and decided on the Hope Tech Endure. When I took my 10 year Spesh Stumpy FSR to get new wheels the guy in the bike shop (i was going to get gears serviced etc at same time) said all drivetrain really needed replacing as showing sign of wear i.e. chain, cassette, bottom bracket, crank as well as headset bearings. Whilst this bike hasn’t been loved quite as much as some love their bike it comes to a large bill.

So thoughts… major overhaul and new wheels or buy new and get what i can for it second hand? I don’t really use the full sus week in week out now so perhaps £1k or so on a hardtail is money better spent??

Open to thoughts, cheers

munkyboy
    Free Member

Replace as they actually wear out. Order lowest price but quality parts (deore) from Germany and learn to fit yourself. Really won’t cost much especially if 9 or ten speed.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Maintain yourself or buy another bike.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have an 8 year old hardtail bike with the same dilemma – It is a 3×9 drivetrain and could do with:

New chainset
    New chain
    New rear cassette
    New rear hub and rebuild or New rear wheel.

I do maintain myself but the rear hub is beyond my skill set (xt hub).

As its 3×9 I have limited options – I could go 2×10 or something but that would mean new shifters and possibly mechs. How much for that lot (currently XT type spec)?

the-muffin-man

If it still changes gear OK and the chain doesn’t skip then ride it until it’s all completely worn out.

Dudie
    Free Member

Just swapped the worn 3×9 drivetrain on my 11 year old hardtail with a 1×11 set up for less than 200 quid (XT upgrade kit from Winstanley plus a 32T NW chainring from Superstar and a couple of other bits and bobs.) Fitted it all myself one leisurely, sunny Saturday. Been a few years since I’ve fettled a bike and have forgotten a lot, but it wasn’t difficult given a bit of time, care and teh internets.

ads678

@uwe-r

Deore triple chainset £50 ish
    Deore Chain £10-15
    Deore cassette £15-20
    Spersatr wheelset £150

nothing wrong with new deore stuff and it will probably be similar to 8 year old XT(ish).

whiteyij
    Free Member

thanks, any idea of german site munkyboy?

my mindset was if it is still pedalling and changing gear it must be shop wanting ££

as is mentioned, limited options with 3×9

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t believe someone is thinking of selling a bike cos the consumables are worn!

limited options with 3×9

Limited how?

And your chainrings won’t be worn unless you’ve been riding around for ages on a completely shagged chain – not ‘signs of wear’.

ads678

http://www.bike-discount.de/ is a good one and rose.

whiteyij
    Free Member

thanks for link

ads678

Check crc, wiggle, Merlin and the like also though.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Ah the “drivetrain is worn mate” wise words of the lbs. Akin to “your tracking is out mate” or a quick fit “free brake check”. As above, replace when worn. Chain / freehub will wear together and first signs of wear will be sluggish shifting…. then slippage in the high gears under load.

If cash rich / time poor just get it done by a shop. If you are like most of us… Get the bits from ze Germans and read up!

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

molgrips
    Free Member

Plus learn to do things yourself – much of it is a piece of piss.

whiteyij
    Free Member

thanks guys, time to put sunny evenings to use

ampthill

Ride it until actually stops working, consider really cheap bits when it does.

I had a hard tail die. Wheel bearings were worn, drive train on the way out. Then the rear mech’ caught on something. I finished a ride with a twisted rear mech’ mount and broken derailleur twisted chain etc.

I then bought a new FS bike

About 6 months later I managed to get the hard tail going for under £100 and it’s still going strong. It now has slick and is more of a road and gravel bike

irc

Cheapest I’ve seen. £45 for Deore 9 speed crankset. Limited stock. Free click and collect at Decathlon if there is a branch near.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-deore-9-speed-chainset-170mm-44-32-22-id_8098671.html#

taxi25
    Free Member

Unless of course your bored with the Spesh and you fancy something new :D. About 3yrs is all I’ll keep a bike for. Trying new stuff is part of the riding experience for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Major service and upgrade or buy new’ is closed to new replies.