Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • major schoolboy error and stans fluid question!
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

Short story …..start my 12 mile ride to work, get 3 miles into swinley and back end goes wobble wobble….tyre flat as a pancake. No problem…go into bag to get pump out….&*&*&*(**((*&%$£$ %$%$$$ left the bloomin thing in shed. Walk to the meadows tesco superstore another 2/3 miles and buy a pump.

Great – so start pumping tyre up and the tyre does not seal. Was only filled with three cups of stans a few months ago. Took tyre off and i was presented with a perfect ball of dry latex. WTF??? tube in pump up and off i go.

Question I have is how often do you guys change fluid? I generally stick with the same tyres for all riding so the fluid has been in for about 3~4 months maybe. Weather wise, its been plop last few monthgs so i doubt it has dried out…or maybe it has?

Any ideas?

cheers 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

Did you inflate using CO2? Can cause fluid to dry out (apparently)

Scapegoat

I took my tyres off after five months (with one top-up) yesterday and someone has replaced all the stans fluid with a cupful of latte. (or was it Fairtrade macchiato? is there a “little finger out” smiley available??)It was perfectly fluid, so I suspect contamination or CO2 shenanigans in your case.

Scapegoat

Too much impatient clicking…..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Over 6 months using 1 cup of Stans per tyre to seal a pair of Nobby Nics on Specialized Roval rims. Can still hear the liquid sloshing about inside.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CO2 is pretty inert, no?

tomd
    Free Member

It makes the solution acidic, which might be the issue.

They must be quite big tyres to need three scoops. 1 does it for me in my 2.0″ tyres, top it up after 6 months or so. Maybe 2 cups in bigger 2.2 tyres, again lasts ages. Bike is in a cool damp cupboard though. If you kept it in a centrally heated house might last significantly less.

somafunk

Perhaps when you use CO2 it freezes the solution slightly and changes it’s constitution?, or did you remove the moulding wax from your tyre before fitting? – by moulding wax i mean the release wax/compound that is usually on the inside of tyres to enable them to slip out the high pressure moulds when manufactured – i use fairy liquid and a green scotchbrite type pan scourer type thing and scrub the inside of my tubeless tyres in the shower before use or applying latex.

rossp
    Free Member

kept inside near a heater? the heat can cause it to clump together

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Nope – never used Co2 thingy on it. They are big tyres (2.35 Hans Damfs)…..never had this issue before! I am wondering if it was a bad batch (unlikely though as i suspect the QC is quite good at the factory). Also never been nearer a heater just kept in my shed subject to good old british weather (ie cold crap and rain).

I am at a bit of a loss! i have kept the ball of latex as a souvenir and have emailed stans to see what they say! it does bounce well … like one of those super bouncy balls that you probably had when you were a kid.

Tom83

Mine dried out when i had the bike in the conservatory as it got too hot. Also happened when i used to have the bike in the back of the car at work during the warmer months.

neninja
    Free Member

Sounds pretty normal. I have some tyres that very rarely need topping up and others that dry out much more quickly leaving a nice stringy clump of rubber.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Thing is, i would have thought it would take a long time for 3 cupfuls to dry out…its weird though how a perfect ball has formed…would have expected stringy stuff as you mention neninja.

Maybe my shed has turned into a sauna with what little sun we have had…. maybe it could be also to do with the thin rubber and surface area of the large hans damf tyres. Must admit, i had the fluid in 6 months + on my spesh “captain” tyres and you could hear the comforting sloshing sound.

will just need to check for the slosh more frequently i guess!

Cheezpleez

I’ve had this a couple of times. Always assumed it was due to using CO2 so interested to hear that it’s not necessarily that.
    Hmmm…

mandog

this happens to me too and I assumed due to freezing coz I use a compressor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘major schoolboy error and stans fluid question!’ is closed to new replies.