Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Maintenance/bike assembly courses – some questions please answer
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Who has been on one?

What would you expect to cover?

How much would you expect to pay per hour/per day?

Would you go on one to improve/update your knowledge?

How many people would you like on the course with you?

Would you like to be able to buy tools from the course?

Evenings or weekends – what would you prefer?

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I'm looking at spending some of my insurance claim money on a training course.

I'd expect the course to be recognised by the bike industry to help me get a job/ run a shop.

I'd expect no more than 8 people in the class.

I'd like the opportunity buy tools, at a discount, from the course.

Cost-wise, I don't think 100 pound per day is unreasonable.

I've been comparing the courses out there, and these are my top 3, in order of preference:

United Bicycle Institute – Oregon, USA (includes how to run a shop)

Barnett Bicycle Institute – Colorado, USA

Cytech – Has the benefit of being in this country, but is no cheaper than travelling to the US for the 2 above.

ononeorange

Went on a maintenance course that was just for me to learn the basics – I came from virtually no knowledge / experience.

It was I recollect around £100 for the day, covered the basics (as far as wheel truing, brakes, hubs etc) and there was one other person. A max of say, 7 would be fine though. Yes, it gave me basic knowledge and more importantly, the confidence to tackle things, which is what I was after. It would have to be weekends, otherwise work would bound to throw out a late one and I'd just miss it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldfart

i've been looking at this as well .just want to top up my basic knowledge .ctc do day courses that look like they fit the bill.£70 for a day .anybody been on one ?

Trimix
    Free Member

Why go on a course – unless you crave the social aspect of it. You can learn all you need from the web. Try this for excellent advice:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp

Its all you need, or perhaps a book secondhand from Amazon, which will cost a few quid.

Save the £100 for a weekend in Wales.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Wouldn't bother with a course either. Each to their own but it's only a bike. Get a copy of Zinn or use all the on line resources and just work your way through it.

Generally what I did and I've been building my own bikes and maintaining for years without any horrendous mishaps or life endangering tragedies. Save the cash to buy tools and off set the odd cock up (that I suspect you'd encounter whether you went on a course or not).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Maintenance/bike assembly courses – some questions please answer’ is closed to new replies.