Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Maintaining phone connectivity when moving house
  • spacemonkey

How is it possible?

If our move actually goes ahead then it looks like we’ll be without mobile signal (no Vodafone in the area) as well as no landline and no internet for at least 5 days. Surely there’s a way round that in this day and age?

Can’t transfer our number as it’s a different exchange. BT want 12 month contract for re-starting the line on completion day. ISP can’t provide any connectivity until 5 days after we confirm the number.

Any workarounds you know of?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

PAYG Sim, I assume you will be wanting to change mobile providers fairly soon too.

spacemonkey

As much as I believe Vodafone’s coverage is getting worse and worse, I’m still happy to stick with them. General customer service is sound, out n about coverage is good enough, and they do a home signal booster thingy that provides mobile coverage via your router.

No other providers offer a signal in the area, hence PAYG unfortunately not an option.

IA

Eh? When I last moved (edinburgh to bristol) I called BT a bit over a month in advance, told them when I was moving. Phoned O2 (broadband supplier ) and told them too. O2 said you might be without service a bit, do you want a free 3G dongle to tide you over? I said yes please.

Moved in saturday, broadband and phone working on the monday (as they both said it would be).

cinnamon_girl

5 days? BT left me without for 8 weeks and another time O2 managed 6 weeks.

Last time I moved was able to keep two paid for lines going as I was moving into an empty property that I owned.

It really is a nightmare, for something so simple it shouldn’t be so difficult.

spacemonkey

Well, IA and CG illustrate exactly what CAN happen when BT are involved in a house move.

ourmaninthenorth

Well, IA and CG illustrate exactly what CAN happen when BT are involved in a house move.

Unless you’re with Virgin or Kingston, then BT are involved in every move….

You can try to agree with the people you’re buying the house from to take over their line (working line takeover) but it means you need to stay with the same ISP.

TBH the moving process is being simplified by Ofcom, but the extent of industry changes means this will only go live in September 2014 and June 2015.

spacemonkey

You can try to agree with the people you’re buying the house from to take over their line (working line takeover) but it means you need to stay with the same ISP.

I can phone them to ask.

Re same ISP, do you mean their ISP or ours?

nixie

5 days, lucky you, going to be at least 6 weeks after we move in before open reach finally install the line!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Maintaining phone connectivity when moving house’ is closed to new replies.