Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mains electric shower recommendations?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Looking at a Triton Aspirante just now but before going ahead has anyone got any recommendations? Maybe a different brand like Mira or similar? Cheers

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Dont know anything about the shower itselF, however I would check out the installation requirements before you buy.
    If you`re a spark or plumber or you are repacing a similar one for one then you should be ok.

If not and you have to install a new supply cable/breaker and change the piping you may wish to do a bit more looking.

teef
    Free Member

Electric mains showers aren’t very good – they just don’t heat the water enough to give a decent flow rate. I’ve got a Aqualisa Aquastream which is a self contained power shower which has an excellant flow rate.

http://www.showerstoyou.co.uk/product_desc.php?id=453&strtitle=Aqualisa_Aquastream_Thermostatic_Power_Shower_White_Finish_&gclid=CJb5oNyOgbgCFdQZtAodsDQA3g

Only £373 delivered

Albanach
    Free Member

Brand new bathroom so all new pipes and cables etc so shouldn’t be a problem (hopefully).

what’s the noise like from the self contained unit?

br
    Free Member

I just replaced ours with a ‘named’ one from B&Q. kW is limited by the size of the cable/fuse – so just check.

Also decide where you want it and then work out pipe routing, get one that suits best.

And make sure you put the head bracket high enough for the tallest person in the house/family.

teef
    Free Member

what’s the noise like from the self contained unit?

Not excessive – the flow of the water mostly drowns it out.

If you’re fitting a new bathroom out get it done properly with a power shower – it might cost more but you won’t regret it.

p7rich
    Free Member

What’s the kW rating on the Aqualisa? Site doesn’t seem to say(??).

Albanach
    Free Member

Good advice b r cheers! I’m 6’5″ so a pet hate of most showers is the head being at chest height!

I’ll have a look at the power showers but to be honest I’m not shower on the difference between mains and power and bog standard? Another pet hate is the pump screeching while you try and have a shower!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Either you have a weedy electric shower/ dodgy wiring or you enjoy being water jetted.

Ive a 10.5kw mira and it was wired up by previous owner using 6mm cable which was meaning the shower was never really hot as well as melting the cable and triping when i investigated.

Swapped it out for correct cable and its a totally different shower!

teef
    Free Member

What’s the kW rating on the Aqualisa? Site doesn’t seem to say(??)

kW rating is not really relevant as it’s not an eletric shower – it mixes the water from the cold & hot water supply. The pump runs on low voltage supplied by a transformer (mines in the loft).

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I replaced a mixer type shower that used our stored hot water with a shower that used an internal heating element and cold water mains water pressure, f you dont have decent pressure upstairs dont bother.

Because of the high current draw of the heater I had to upgrade the power supply cable and the breaker, the breaker is the easy bit, the cable however was the nightmare, it took me two days to do , this includes chasing out walls, fishing cables through/under floor boards, blah, blah, blah. then all of the making good again,
    Eventually 2 days later we could enjoy a nice hot free flowing shower,
    we bought the actual shower unit as a bargain from the Big Quaint hardware shop, the install however cost probably double by the end.

My Missus later told one of the neighbours what a fantastic job I had done, they went out and bought a similar shower and asked me to fit it for them, when I told them it would take me about two days and the cable route I would have to carve theough their house they took the shower back.

footflaps

You mean a Power Shower if it’s just pumping H&C water. We have a Mira Event XS Power Shower and it’s excellent.

Albanach
    Free Member

It won’t be being fed from hot supply just cold tank or mains depending on shower cost. I’ll check with the electrician what rating the cable is at.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mains electric shower recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.