• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mail order – hassle of returning a bike?
  • z1ppy

..is it worth it? There’s a bike on CRC I’m ‘interested’ in as its cheap but the geometry is all over the place, so was wondering it if worth buying it just to check it over* and return it, if it’s too weird.

Anyone got any experience of mail order bike returns, is it worth the hassle? Did getting the tyres dirty riding it up and down the street cause a problem? I know they say they should be completely unused.. but I assume most ppl at least do this? (I obviously won’t, but you know thought I’d ask…)

*None of my current or previous bikes match the measurements of manufacturer geo charts

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Best bet is ask if anyone has one and they can tell you how it sizes up.

deadkenny
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/customer-service/returning-an-item

Distance Selling Regs allow you to return it within 14 days for any reason, but it should be unused, else you’ll have to negotiate with them. Typically a retailer can knock off an amount for wear and tear. They won’t be able to re-sell it as new, especially if the tyres are dirty. I wouldn’t accept a bike as new if the tyres are obviously dirty.

You may have to pay for the courier. Depends on the retailer.

If it’s faulty or not fit for purpose then that’s another matter. No quibble return and they pay for the return.

prawny

It’s a bit of an arse ache, because someone has to be in for the courier, and for some reason couriers aren’t as friendly when you’re the person paying them.

I’ve never returned a bike that wasn’t broken so I can’t comment on that part, but trying to sort out my commuter has been enough of a pain that I probably will buy all of my commuters at least locally in future.

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you’re worried about fit but don’t want to get the tyres dirty, maybe swap them for some spares beforehand then swap back if it feels terrible. Or just take it for a gentle ride at the indoor skatepark where it’s unlikely to get dirty
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNY18XdFTI[/video]
    It’s quite hard to get a feel for a bike on a 5 minute test ride down the street though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I think the spirit of the regulations is that you can evaluate it a bit.

So you can plug in a tv watch a few channels, try on clothes, walk round in shoes.

But they need to be returned as new and resalable condition.

So I would crack on, and not get the tyres dirty – ride up and down your street on a dry day…?

Perhaps look at the courier costs in returning though. The retailer might arrange it, but they might not.

z1ppy

European make that’s not popular, no reviews (end user or magazine) online and ‘feel’ is a relative term

Can’t swap the wheels as my current bikes are 29er and this is a 650B+

I don’t expect to get it cover in dirt and neither would I expect to buy a bike and it come covered in dirt but a quick spin round to find the general feel would be nice. I’ll have to find a hall I can use.

legend
    Free Member

Given the weird stuff this place has turned up over the years, you might as well tell everyone what bike it is an there’ll no doubt be one within 500 yards

hypnonewt
    Free Member

If it is a Ghost then they make good bikes. I had two when I lived in Germany. They size up like Cubes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought a Canyon bike, road it up and down the road, then returned it after realising it was the wrong size. They arranged courier and didn’t complain about minor marks on tyres.

tdog
    Free Member

Is it that ghost 27.5 + hardtail?
    If so another member on here has one, might be worth a pm to see how he likes it over the last few weeks.
    It looked alright to be fair.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mail order – hassle of returning a bike?’ is closed to new replies.