Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maidenhead – what's it like?
  • porterclough
    Free Member

Not finding many jobs up here in civilisation, but I've seen one that sounds like a good fit for me down in Maidenhead, Berks.

I've only driven through there once, in the dark, on a misguided attempt at a short cut to Guildford from the M40 (won't do that again). What's it like? Am I right in imagining a small town with lots of out of town business parks and not much else? Would I be looking at Slough or Reading for somewhere to live that would be affordable?

I suppose the mountain biking won't be as good as on the edge of the Peak District where I am now, but if I'm honest I haven't been out on the bike much lately anyway… (sad but true)

cinnamon_girl

Close to the Chilterns. 8)

badnewz
    Free Member

It's a nice place, reading would be more affordable to live in, but that and slough = not so nice.
    Not far from swinley mind either way. 😀

kimbers

its a bit soulless ime

quite posh but still full of chavs? if that make ssense
    riding is rather flat but swinley is nearby

as far as nighjtlife goes has a few trendy bars a cinema a skanky club and a strip joint

GrahamS

…a skanky club and a strip joint

Kind of ironic for a town named "Virginity" (or more literally, "Hymen")

nickc

It's OK, it's stockbroker belt land. Marlow and Henley are quite close by. Houses are pricey, less so in Slough (souless) and Reading (World of Chav). Ummm, London is easy access, there's actually relatively quite a lot of riding nearby (the Chilterns and Swinley). Nice part of world I suppose.

nickc

Oh, and has nothing to do with Virginity, it's to do with the New Wharf on the river…Go figure

pedalhead
    Free Member

The Chef Peking does a marvellous chicken & cashew

saleem
    Free Member

Lived there for a year or two, though I've got to agree with kimbers, new money types, very flash with no class,plenty nice places to stay just outside Maidenhead, Bray for one, home to 2 out of 4, 3* michelin restaurants.

anagallis_arvensis

its shit, worse than Reading and expensive. Riding is quite good in the Chilterns though.

porterclough
    Free Member

Hmm, doesn't sound promising. Why don't they have the jobs where people live?

I suppose commuting out of west London might be do-able… though probably not very fiscally sound.

Andy

Depends what you can afford housing wise. Have a look at Cookham or Littlewick Green or Pinkneys Green, all just down the road and v pretty.

saleem
    Free Member

Fiscally challenged………..certainly not what it's about there, commuter belt, 30min to Paddington if that, have a look around the twyford area, you'll get more for your money.

Andy's bang on when he says Cookham, it's v nice

landcruiser
    Free Member

Don't listen to this lot………….. Maidenhead has it's ups and downs like anywhere so depends on your street, but can be lovely, and is close to A LOT of good things (not just bike related !) I used to work just up the road in Ascot, for a long time, and have friends in the area.

br
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to live in London and commute to Maidenhead!

Worse of both worlds!

Also coming from the M40 side is a bitch of a journey, my wife was regularly taking 1 1/2 hours to do less than 30 miles.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Agree with last two posts theres nothing wrong with Maidenhead at all.

The town centre is a bit underwhemling for the size of the town. But thats because its so close to reading and slough, and as pointed out london is nt far on the train either.

personally I quite like Reading too. Yeah theres areas you would nt want to live in, but Its pretty lively and the town centre is great for shopping, cinema, restuarants etc…

I live in Twyford which is a village between Reading and Maidenhead, its on the train line between the 2 so might be a possibilty if you were looking for somewhere smaller or quiter.

As people have mentioned the main problem round here is the congestion, there really needs to be more bridges over the Thame esp in Reading.

However the train service into london is really good esp from Reading which has direct trains to london,bham,britol,southampton,oxford,guildford,basingstoke, derby and sheffield even !

gusamc
    Free Member

I lived there, westish side, ok, could ride direct from there Knowl Hill, Holyport etc.

I'd check your work route if you're commuting at normal times and live around that (bad 423M 308/A4 etc etcetc M4/M40access jack at rush hours) – also if you have a car check street parking where you live or get a house with a drive. Also if you can read maps that will make you stand out, e.g rather a lot of property near the river is built on what (especially old) maps call 'flood plain' – a fact that lots of housebuilders and buyers apear to have missed ……

Top tip – Marlow = sophisticated, like a coffee enema – avoid

Reading has more facilities (issues with river crossing ..). Twyford is a nice village.

porterclough
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to live in London and commute to Maidenhead!
    Worse of both worlds!

I used to live in Manchester and commute out into Cheshire… seems by far the most sensible way round to me.

nickc

Top tip – Marlow = sophisticated, like a coffee enema – avoid

Depends, bits of Marlow are hideous, other bits of Marlow are fine, and have normal people living there. (my dad for one 😀 )

bangaio
    Free Member

I grew up in marlow, had relatives in maidenhead and lived in cookham for a little while when I worked in the city. Now I live about 20 miles away in the chilterns but work in Maidenhead. It's an ok town. Good schools (especially mine) and has its nice (and very nice) bits and also its sink estates and trouble – it's a south east town after all! Bit's of Reading are nice, Caversham. Maidenhead is also easy to get to from Henley and as said Twyford is nice. There are also lots of other nice villages near and Windsor can be affordable too. There are far far far worse places you could live or work and 90% of the kids at my school (secondary comp) are non chav and rather nice.

Andy

Twyford here. scu98rkr we still need to hook up for some riding some time! I do like Twyford. Sleepy, friendly, safe. Four curry houses. Easy access to Henley for nights out, and Lahndan by train. Swinley/Chilterns only 10 mins away.

Do wish I'd tried Cookham though when I moved down here. Wouldn't be able to afford it now though!

Wherever you try, my advice is dont live the other side of the Thames from your work unless you plan to cycle in each day, or sit in your car for a while. Living in W London would be bonkers; worst of both worlds.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi Nick, sorry – I'm sure you're right, but I can truthfully say I've never been anywhere (including Glasgow and Paisley in the 80s) where there were so many aggressive, stupid wanting a fight with a stranger drunks – you know the sort who push their mate into you to start a fight – Mrlow Hight Street – you could get fat on the chips on peoples shoulders……

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maidenhead – what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.