Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mahogany Guitars!
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So we’ve not had a guitar question in a while. Here’s a couple for starters! 😆

I went out a wander yesterday ended up at the guitar shop, bought some strings for my electric, NYXL 10-46 balanced tension. Now I like the NYXL, they are great, a step above anything else imo. But it’s the first time I’d tried the balanced tension. So I strung up last night, my initial impression is positive, they feel nice and well… balanced, overall tension is lower though, as I needed to adjust my guitar neck, sustain feels better on them for some reason, just initial impression, I’ll form a proper opinion over the next week or so.. Anyone use these, what do you think?

After I bought the strings though, I took a we wander down to the acoustic guitars to have a gander, ended up having a wee shot on a fender paramount FM-2 parlour guitar http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-paramount-pm-2-parlor-mahogany-acoustic-guitar-natural-with-hard-case Was really nice.

So now I’m lusting over an all mahogany parlour guitar, any thoughts and recommendations there? I’ll not be buying something till next year I don’t think, my music budget got maxed out when I bought a leccy piano earlier in there year! So not looking for recommendations yet, just curious to see if this starts a guitar discussion tbh!

malgrey
    Free Member

Can’t really help you as I’m no expert, but just to say that I love the earthier tone I get out of my little Baby Taylor travel guitar.

The poor thing gets dragged all over the country camping and canoeing, and despite being small enough to fit in a large drybag for my canoe, still returns enough volume and tone to be a pleasure to play and to listen to.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

what’s the benefit of Mahogany in guitars? As a wood it used to have a bad reputation for not being very sustainably farmed, has that changed? It’s great on boats.

I have a question about strings – how often do you change them?

I’ve started playing my guitar again after 15 years of it sitting around. Still using the same strings. 😳 My son has just started I picked him up a cheap second hand electric from ebay and restrung that with some brand new ernie ball 9’s and i got a spare set for me then I’ve found a unopened pack of d’addario 10s that i must have bought years ago in the back of my old marshall practice amp. I haven’t fitted them yet and the old strings still seem to hold tune well and sound ok for my bad playing.

mattyfez

It has a deeper warmer tone than the traditional rosewood backed spruce top guitars, I like it.

I really wanted one of these D-15m

But the budget couldnt stwetch so I got a DRS-1

The latter is made of Sapele, which might be worth consideration as it sounds very Mahogany like and is more sustainable if you want some eco credentials.

This is quite an interesting article

I use 80/20 bronze strings, if im playing a lot, like every day, the strings sound noticably flatter after about a month or two to me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

supersessions9-2 – Member
    what’s the benefit of Mahogany in guitars?

No idea, tbh, I think the benefit is more just an all wood guitar as opposed to a laminated guitar, the mahogany just sounded great though. I’m not particularly stuck on that, i think I’m more interesting understand the benefits of getting a nice all wood guitar that’ll sound nicer, and age nicely over time, I’m fairly open and I’m just starting an investigation here.

My experience of acoustics is of fairly cheap laminated guitars. (I do have a classical guitar, that’s cedar top and laminate mahogany back and side, but I want something with steel strings. Might even consider upping the budget considerably, as it’ll be something I’ll keep for the rest of my life.)

Strings, change them when they start to sound dull, you’ll get an ear for that, usually when they are covered in gunk is a good indicator. I probably change every 3-6 months, I find those nyxls last longer, i quite dislike ernie balls tbh, depends on the guitar though. People that gig will change much more often. It’s really just personally as to how long you can go the degradation of the strings.

malgrey – That wee baby taylor looks nice!

seosamh77
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    It has a deeper warmer tone than the traditional spruce top guitars, I like it.

I really wanted one of these D-15m

aye that does look amazing, need to have a go at some martins and taylors i think, videos you watch, they do sound amazing on.

bigblackshed

My BiL has a Faith acoustic. Lovely thing. They do a parlour sized range, Mercury.

FAITH MERCURY

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the look of parlour guitars, but I’d go for something a bit brighter that will resonate a little better than mahogany.

However, mahogany has a lovely deeper rounded tone.. jazz’ish and if that’s your thing then why not. I wouldn’t get a ply or laminated top though, of you can stretch to a single piece mahogany top then all the better for it.

String changes when they go dull, mine tend to last about 6mths before I hear the bottom E sounding all woolly. But then I like bright sounds, so both my guitars are set for a vibrant sound..

mattyfez

I’d certainly get a real wood guitar as opposed to laminate, what wood that is really depends on what sounds best to you.

mattyfez

a single piece mahogany top then all the better for it.

You’d be lucky to find a single piece top, there’s not much mahogany trees left that are big enough, at least for dreadnought size guitars.
    All most all tops are butteurflied from narrower thicker cuts, although it’s very difficult to spot the join on a well made guitar for example my sapele martin..

Klunk
    Free Member

my guitar is solid mahogany and the sustain is well very….
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ[/video]

(it’s not a les paul though)

noahhowes
    Free Member

I’ve got a D15m, it’s a lovely guitar with all the warmth I could want. It suits my playing, I sometimes find brighter guitars a little unforgiving. It’s interesting playing it back to back with a spruce Taylor, it can sound almost dull for the first strum or two until your ears and technique adjusts. Different woods, different sounds I suppose.

plumber
    Free Member

As a collings owner I don’t really look at acoustics anymore

The only one that has interested me in years is

000M-15+

which sounded pretty great for this type of instrument/budget

A lot of info on the Andertons acoustic paradise vids with Mick and Pete

mattyfez

Only thing with a small body acoustic is that it won’t have the easy ‘oomph’ and volume of a dreadnought, also laminated acoustic guitars have come a long way though but they still tend to sound a bit boxy and bright.

Probably not an issue if you’re plugged in, but for acoustic playing, feeling it vibrate through your chest when you’re playing it..

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye the oomph is something I don’t want, live in a flat, so ruling out a dreadnought. Want something a bit more subtle, I already canny really play my classical as it’s ridiculously loud, great sounding, but projects sound like mad.

mattyfez

Ok so a smaller body guitar is probably the best, but do get a real wood one, they just sound so much better and more natural.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a faith mercury (gloss black one) spruce top, mahogany back & sides. Sounds mellow, much better for fingerstyle than chords but i find i practice songs on it i should be playing on the electric as it feels so nice. Anything above the 13th fret is a stretchy struggle though even with the scoop. Sounds darker than my all spruce full size crafter acoustic
    [video]https://youtu.be/d90eS-WpOy0[/video]

shakers97
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the Spinal Tap vid, haven’t seen that in ages. The look of utter confusion when he suggests making 10 louder before the killer last line – perfect

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you are worried about making too much noise when practicing, play against a wall covered in cushions and pillows, or play towards the back of the sofa. Both will help deaden the sound/mute it..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mahogany Guitars!’ is closed to new replies.