• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Magura Wotan – Alternatives to official remote travel adjust?
  • cb

Hi – I’ve just snapped the second official travel adjust lever and at £30 a pop its not funny anymore. I was wondering if any alternatives did a better job?

I love the forks but I used to use the travel adjust a lot and find them hard to climb at 160mm permanently. I just need a non-locking type lever for the bar that is more durable. Any ideas?

I wouldn’t object to changing the travel by hand i.e. having to stop like the U-Turn systems but that doesn’t seem possible either.

Thanks

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I use an old Suntour thumbshifter to adjust lockout on my Laurins. Would one have enough cable pull for travel adjust? 8 clicks at 5mm a click ,say?

warpcow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t object to changing the travel by hand i.e. having to stop like the U-Turn systems but that doesn’t seem possible either.

What do you mean with this not being possible? I never fitted the remote to my Wotan and could still just turn the top-cap by hand if I wanted to drop/raise the travel.

cb

Thanks – would that Suntour lever lock in place though? That would work for lockout but the travel adjust system on the Wotans is simply pull / push and release i.e. it shouldn’t lock in place. The travel moves from 160 – 120 but not in increments.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I never used it but when I bought my old Thors, they came with a Rock Shox Poploc lever as a replacement for the Magura OE thing. May be worth looking at? Not sure if that was more of a lock-out thing though rather than travel adjust – could work?

wwaswas

I had a pair of Wotans – I’m sure the travel adjust lever was missing and you just manually moved the lever on the crown to adjust the travel?

cb

wwaswas – there isn’t a lever on the crown. its a disc type set-up and it can be turned but is a bugger to grip. Changing from 120mm – 160mm is vaguely OK but to grip the disc enough whilst compressing the forks to change the travel in the other direction is not easy.

warpcow
    Free Member

Use the grubscrews that hold the cable to wedge a washer or something in there, then you have something to push against to make it easier to turn. Done it to RS forks before and can’t see why it wouldn’t work on a Wotan.

letmetalktomark

This was my solution to the travel adjust issue on some old Thors.

Formed from the cannibalization of a bulldog clip!

Worked really well 🙂

cb

letmetalktomark – now that’s interesting. What shape is the clip underneath? Have you wrapped it all the way around or are the grub screws holding it in place?

faustus

You can use rockshox poploc for travel adjust and lockout – I did this on a Durin i used to own, and works fine. You can make the poploc non-lockable to work with the travel adjust better too.

letmetalktomark

Its just one of the levers(?) from a bulldog clip splayed slightly held in place by the grub screws.

Nothing fancier than that.

The grub screws held it tightly and the curved bits were even comfortable to use!

cb

Thanks all – will try the bulldog option!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Magura Wotan – Alternatives to official remote travel adjust?’ is closed to new replies.