Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Magura warranty question – buying overseas content
  • Gnnr

I'm wondering what my warranty cover (if any) would be having bought some new Magura forks from the US… erm from ebay!! Coat's on

Would magura UK tell me to get stuffed? Fingers crossed for a trouble free tweleve months.

Anyone else got realworld experience of this, feedback appreciated. G

wwaswas

"Would magura UK tell me to get stuffed?"

almost certainly – why shoudl they support an item they earned no money from selling?

mashiehood
    Free Member

Not sure they would 'support' an ebay purchase to be honest. But they have been amazing to me everytime I have sought their services. When bidding for anything on ebay plan for the worst (no warranty support)with hope for the best (the exceptional customer service from magura).

Weigh up the risks before putting in a bid.

bluebird
    Free Member

It depends, some companies, for example Burton Snowboards, have international warranty schemes.

Buying from eBay will also depend. Is it a retailer selling on eBay with full US warranty? If so, worse case scenario you'd have to return them to the US.

US warranties are quite so quick or hassle free as walking back in to a shop in the UK though. You'll be expected to return the goods to the manufacturer, and turn around (mainly due to shipping) can take a week or so.

Gnnr

I guess that for the price, roughly half UK costs. They are worth the gamble, lets hope so!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Have you checked On-One's price? certainly not half RRP, but much cheapter than anywhere else in the UK last time I looked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I asked them, the answer in the politest possible way was 'we'd tell you to go forth and multiply yourself'

On the other hand, they pointed out that the failiure rate of magura forks was very very very small.

joolsburger
    Free Member

To calm your fears.

I am 16.5 stoner and have done some unrecommended stuff on mine over the last few months bushings are still tight, nothing is bent and they are plush as you like.

If you treat them properly there is no reason stuff should break is there?

If you don't treat them properly (like me) you have to accept that when they break you'll pay for repairs.

Made in Germany still counts for a lot in my book.

Also when it comes to Warranty.

Any item purchased from a retailer in a box has at some point been paid for by them and Mugura has seen their money.

The local distributor has every right to refuse warranty but I'd be very surprised if Magura direct didn't honour a manufacturing defect.

Thing to remember is that for a guy like me chucking a lot of weight down bumpy stuff at high speed is going to break stuff and you can't hold the manufacturer responsible.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Hola..

Magura do not have a UK disti any more so all stuff returned to Magura germany for work! So warranty work should be covered!

Are you refering to the US shop thats selling Magura forks and brakes cheap and Zocchi forks!

If so there awesome! A mate has bought some marzocchi 4x forks and then a week later ordered some louise bats. Both arrived in under a week. And the shop are really pro active. e mailing to confirm reciept of order and t e mailing to confirm sent along with tracking details

hora
    Free Member

be aware though that warranty costs can be high.

I had a compression cart replaced on a Lyrik fork under warranty and that was £150 theoretical cost.

Yuo would be better off buying something from a authorised UK dealer here on ebay and at least you have peace of mind. Does it have to be Magura?

Ive used scotby cycles (also ebay) when I bought my coil Lyriks for £450 and York cycle outlet for another set of forks for half the rrp.

Or why not Winstanley cycles- I always find bargains there.

Edit:

Magura do not have a UK disti

Seriously? I wonder why?

joolsburger
    Free Member

The MAGURA Service Center UK is moving!
    . You will find here shortly the new address!
    Phone: 01530 414142
    Email

Gnnr

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to try and get a clear idea of my position in case of a warranty claim. Chances are that things will get resolved in the case of a claim.

I have since spoken to the ebay seller (yes its the cheap Durin/Brake guy), his comms are ace. He said worst case scenario would be return to the US but reckons the international warranty should be ok. Either way the substantial saving was worth the risk.

JB if you come across the new Magura UK details post it up.

Cheers, G

hora
    Free Member

Chances are that things will get resolved in the case of a claim.

Its better to assume not though.

Thing is – if you can learn to service them yourself you may be fine and they may never go wroing but dont buy on the assumption that you would get warranty cover as products are sold on a country-by-country basis arent they.

Distributor buys in say 1,000 forks- sells them and has an agreement to service/replace parts with manufacturer. Someone comes along and says 'hey repair my forks free of charge even though you didnt sell these'..they might tell you to go away.

mashiehood
    Free Member

new magura details are:

Magura Technical Service
    c/o Moore Large & Co
    Sinfin Industrial Estate
    Sinfin Lane
    Derby
    DE24 9GL

Gnnr

mashiehood, is that info current? I found that info re the cycle show in 2003.

mashiehood
    Free Member

thats where i was asked to send the brakes to by mike the mechanic jenner in an email two days ago

mtbfix

Your warranty is with the shop that sold you the goods, not the manufacturer, so they retailer should be happy to honour your warranty. Technically it is not Magura's issue.

wwaswas

mtbfix – but if you but off ebay in the states who would you contact for a 'no warranty in place' repair?

mashiehood
    Free Member

gnnr – got a call from mike the mechanic who said he received the brakes so must be the right address

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Magura warranty question – buying overseas content’ is closed to new replies.