Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Magura vs Hope
  • ratherbeintobago

Need new brakes for the new build and am keen to go with something that might allow a Rohloff build in the future. So, Hope Tech 3’s or Magura MT6’s?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Magura MT6 have had problems and been subject to a recall. I’m not sure if they’ve fixed them.

ratherbeintobago

Magura MT6 have had problems and been subject to a recall. I’m not sure if they’ve fixed them.

I’d seen the odd thread about there being problems, and there was the recall. I was wondering how common these were and whether newer brakes were any better.

wwaswas

I’ve been running Magura brakes for the last 5 years, Marta, Louise and MT4/MTS.

I’ve never had any issues beyond the odd bleed when shortening hoses. Pad life has always been good and I like the feel of them.

The MT4/MTS have a firm lever feel but modulation is good. The standard rotors seem fine but I’ve used them with Venti-Disk as well with no problems.

I’ve not used Hope so can’t do a comparison.

vondally
    Free Member

used magura Louise FR/BATs and martas, most are still going strong…….got some MT4 and disappointed is not the word, not a patch on the older ones,

Moved to hope and happy so far.

slackman99
    Free Member

Have to agree with Von. Had Louise brakes on 2 past bikes and they were awesome. Single finer power in spades but with modulation. Had some mt4s more recently and not nearly as nice or powerful. I’m not a fan of the composite master cylinder, feels a bit flexy and never seemed to have much power.

Now moved to deores on both bikes. Not flash but they work as well as any brakes I’ve owned with loads of power. Probably the best value but of kit I’ve bought.

Not had hopes in a long time. Think original mini was the last time.

MrH
    Free Member

I went for a fancy build – nicolai helius, rohloff and magura forks and brakes. I’ve ditched everything made by magura. The forks were prone to diving – euphemistically described as “linear” in product reviews. The forks dived, I went over the top and broke my wrist. I swallowed my pride and went on a cycle active skills course. Part of the course was emergency stopping. My magura louise brakes were the only ones not capable of locking up, regardless of how well they were bled. Switched to xt brakes and fox forks and never looked back.

ratherbeintobago

Thanks all. It’s looking like Hopes are the way forward…

sbob
    Free Member

My magura louise brakes were the only ones not capable of locking up, regardless of how well they were bled.

Then they were ****. (broken)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve eleven years of happy Hope ownership here. My original M4s are still in regular use on MrsPJM’s bike.

They’re a doddle to bleed, easy to fix and spares can be found anywhere. The only issue with them is that they don’t run on mineral oil but otherwise there’s much to recommend. I haven’t heard much that’s good about Magura.

ratherbeintobago

FWIW I’ve got a set of (pre-Evo) X2s which have been fine, if lacking in power compared with the (horribly unreliable) Avids they replaced. Are the Tech 3s noticeably more powerful?

ratherbeintobago

On the other hand, new Maguras:

New master cylinder on the single piston brakes, too…

cubicboy
    Free Member

I had a pair of MT6s… horrid. They are in the parts bit and have been replaced by Hopes.

ratherbeintobago

I had a pair of MT6s… horrid.

It looks like they’ve heavily revised the master cylinder, and the yellow rings look really cool.

I’ll probably still end up with Hopes though.

Northwind

It’s worth trying Maguras before you buy if you can, I like them but they can be a bit different. Lever feel and response can feel weird after other brakes, unlike Hope which I reckon most folks will just find instantly familiar and usable.

Aside though, are Hope particularily good with rohloffs? The levers are generally pretty bulky…

ratherbeintobago

Aside though, are Hope particularily good with rohloffs? The levers are generally pretty bulky…

Would that matter much with twist shifters? In any case Hope and Magura are among the few companies making brake discs with the odd BCD Rohloffs need.

DT78
    Free Member

I have a set of Louise’s on my alps bike. Most powerful brake I’ve owned, have new slx, xt and last seasons xtr..better than those and tech x2s. Only thing is I don’t really like the lever shape, it is quite sharp if that makes sense. Hope levers are lovely.

ratherbeintobago

I’ll probably still end up with Hopes though.

And Hopes it is as Magura don’t do sintered pads and resin ones last about five minutes in the local muck.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got Maguras on a new Cannondale Jekyll. Have Hopes on other bikes. Also have the latest deores on another. Deores win hands down. Just done Spain on the Jekyll and the Maguras needed plenty of fingers to slow me down. Will be swopping them for Shimanos when funds allow.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Magura vs Hope’ is closed to new replies.