Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Magura TS8 29er forks…any good?
  • lehutch
    Free Member

Hi all

I’ve decided I need a Stanton Sherpa in my life, so have started to spec and buy parts which I’ll accumulate over the next few months ready for a summer build and ride! Easiest way to get this past the wife TBH 😉

I’m looking at forks right now and like the look of the Magura TS8 120mm forks…cheap, stiff, light, whats not to like

They have mostly positive reviews…but I am wondering if any of you have experience of them…

Otherwise, what fork recommendations would you have for this bike…cheers!!!!

lehutch
    Free Member

I guess they aren’t widely used…. ?

lehutch
    Free Member

which may tell me something…. 🙂

majorspaniel

Maybe not widely used but iv got a pair of the 150mm 650b ts8’s and they’ve been brilliant, no issues at all and Iv had them for 3 years

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got some older Thors (26″) which the TS8s replaced. I really rate them, very lightweight for the travel and stiffness.
    Doesn’t help you specifically though does it…

nedrapier

I’ve tried the TS6. Slightly heavier, cheaper brother to the TS8. Stiff and plush. It was a few years old and was in great working order.

I’d be happy to buy a TS8 based on that.

otsdr
    Free Member

There have been issues at some point with the lower bushings migrating to the top (on older Durin models), but I think they have been solved.

jonnyrockymountain

What are they like for servicing?

chrisvt
    Free Member

I’ve been running a set for 3 years. They are very easy to service – a strength in their design. The damping unit is fully contained within the upper and thus it doesn’t get contaminated with the elements.

The TS8 axle bolt is more durable than a Rockshoxx Maxle (the handle pins wear out on the Maxle). Fox has the best axle lever of the three in my opinion.

I find TS8 ride to be stiff over fast rough terrain, but good over big bumps. Lowering air pressure and adjusting rebound helps only a little. I think it could be improved with lighter shock oil (2.5W vs. 5W) but not tried it yet.

Potential longer-term maintenance issue with the axle design (uses M14x1.0 threads). The thread seat is not removable. I don’t know what grade alloy it is but it isn’t stainless steel. Thus, the threads will wear out from repeated installation and removal of the bolt. Thus you either have to install a helicoil/v-coil style thread insert or replace the lowers. In my case the threads wore out while the oil seals and bushings are still original and serviceable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Magura TS8 29er forks…any good?’ is closed to new replies.