Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Magura thor or DT Swiss 150 exc TA
  • happysv
    Free Member

Anyone using the above forks and if so what do you think are the good / Bad points.
    Using pikes on my 5 spot but want something lighter and quicker to drop the travel than u-turn.

Cheers Ian

Alex

Have you considered the new 140mm Revs? I have some and they feel as stiff as the Pikes on my other bike. Bit heavier than the Thors and the DT Swiss but quite a lot cheaper.

I have the air u-turns and they are nearly a pound lighter than the Coil pikes.

happysv
    Free Member

The air u-turns are more expensive than I can get the others for and heavier as you say.The u-turn is too slow to use compared to the Thors and DT swiss

rolfharris
    Free Member

I run Thors, and it depends what you want- light weight or stiffness. I’m not sure if the DT is actually lighter but I have a mate who runs them and complains that they’re not particularly stiff. I’m very happy with the Thor and the travel adjust is good. Travel is smooth and if you run the Albert plus a little, there’s none of the mid-travel dive some people complain about. It’s very well composed- it doesn’t misbehave, dive or spike and it’s stiff.

The bad points I’d level at it focus completely on the travel adjust lever- it’s crap and mine broke. I’ve replaced it with a Shimano thumbshifter for £3 and it’s flawless now.

the_pilot
    Free Member

Is he running the DT’s with the through axle or QR?

I have been running Thors on my ti456 (bizarrely with Rolfs old Rohloff, which is great) and find them stiff and very plush, a little too plush for my liking even with albert in play, leading to them feeling like I have too much fork up front, I was considering the 130 DT’s

the_pilot
    Free Member

Oh, and where can you get a 150 DT swiss for less than £450?????? You should start trading in them!

nixie

I’ve got the through axle DT swiss fork. TBH I haven’t had much opportunity to ride them yet but they felt good on what I have done. Stiffness wise they are pleanty stiff, I lost a pinch bolt on one ride (my fault, didn’t tighten it properly) and they didn’t feel flex then. Ok they are never going to be as stiff as my old 36’s but feel very similar to the pikes I had. One point though the travel adjust is not so much travel adjust as a temporary shortening for climbs, if you go down hill with them shortened the fork will auto extend the first time you hit a reasonable bump.

Daffy

You could get them from Stif just before Christmas for £413. They were £470 up until yesterday. £588 now 😥

gingerflash

I’d like something similar and the 150mm travel, 32mm stanchioned, 15QR Talas keeps coming to the top of the list. Travel adjust is 110-130-150.

happysnapper
    Free Member

I’ve got the DT XMC130 on my Soda and they’re pretty light and stiff. They are QR but also shorter travel. Got mine for £475.

happysv
    Free Member

put them in your basket at stif and 15% comes off

the_pilot
    Free Member

£499 is a great price! Its not 420 but crikey

nickc

Have Thors on my Chameleon…That is to say I did have Thors on right up to the point when the cracked along the top of the left “dropout” They’re at Magura UK now awaiting a decision on a warranty replacement. Nice forks though, so I’ll be happy to get them back.

Stoner
    Free Member

nick – wow! What were you doing to do that to them? It’s not like you leave the ground much 🙂

Was it the gnarliness of the Malverns what did it? 🙂

nickc

Dodgy casting I guess…Unless I’m suddenly “Mr Universe”, and due to my infeasible strength I’m able to rent asunder magnesium using only the power of doing up a maxle… 🙂

Happened before Xmas, so only getting them sorted out now is a major pain

Stoner
    Free Member

Unless I’m suddenly “Mr Universe”, and due to my infeasible strength

too much Bernard Matthews this christmas?

nickc

Too much Mr kipling more like… 🙂

auricgoldfinger

If you’re after a DT Swiss fork, give Chris a call at Mountaintrax in Wokingham – just spoke to him earlier and I understand he has some on offer. Tell him Nick sent you 😉

happysv
    Free Member

Tried Mountaintrax today and they dont have any deals on them,same price as shown on there website.

heihei

Have Thors on my Motolite but have not tried them on my Spot. As most note, without the Albert they dive through the mid-stroke. They are pretty plush and plenty stiff, and the travel adjust is good apart from the lever. I continue to worry about Magura reliability as these were a replacement for some Wotans which were hopeless.
    Not ridden the DT 150’s but had a set of Pace Fighter 20mm. Yes they are light and reasonably stiff, but reliability was hopeless – back to the factory 3 times in 13 months. Perhaps DT have sorted this out.
    I tried some new Revs (20mm version) on a DW Spot and even in the Surrey Hills managed to push them hard enough to notice they are not that stiff – not in the same league as Pikes or the Thors.
    How about trying to locate a set of Z1 Lights? Run a pair on my Spot and love them – yes a bit heavier and a bit longer, but awesome forks – reckon they’ll be collectors items one day!

scaredypants

stop rubbing it in heihei – I miss that fork, it’s almost the only “proper” big thing I’ve ever sold
    (were the stickers rubbish ?)

happysv
    Free Member

Tried a pair of dt swiss 150 forks today and noticed the rebound adjuster on the top of the right leg
    is very easy to move by mistake whilst activating launch control.
    Anyone have any experience of this on the trails?
    On the other hand it was nice to be able to adjust it without getting off the bike.

heihei

scaredypants – lol! Guy I bought mine off had destickered them so I bought some replacement ones via the importers Windwave. They’ve remained in place, even though I didn’t quite get one of them in the right place!

happysv – yes the rebound adjuster does get knocked around, although tbh that was the least of my worries – losing any rebound control halfway down snowdon, and then again on a full-day ride around the N Downs was far more frustrating (and dangerous). Hope DT have sorted it out!

scaredypants

“Guy I bought mine off had destickered them”

aye, that’d be me (didn’t I send you the stickers – welded to a piece of greaseproof paper ?)

heihei

scaredypants – ha ha hadn’t put 2 and 2 together! Yes – much appreciated that – very thoughtful. Haven’t tried them yet but a good back-up! Have to say they’ve proved to be a bargain – they started out on my 6-Pack but then spent very valuable time on an Ibis Mojo, then swtiched to my 5-Spot (05 HL version but with 140mm rockers) and are now on the new DW-link Spot (yet to try). Had a service at Windwave and are awesome (just to rub it in more)!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Magura thor or DT Swiss 150 exc TA’ is closed to new replies.