Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Magura Thor forks, well there is a surprise :-)
  • mactheknife

Gave my new forks a proper run out today. Hit them with everything from long climbs to extremely technical descents and i am happy to say they were bloody outstanding.

Very stiff for a 32mm fork compared to my old revs. Damping is extremely simple to set up and so far seems to work like a dream.
    I ran then for the first half of the day with Albert select on dialing in some low speed compression so they ran pretty stiff.

For the second half i turned the Albert select off and although there was a slight brake dive i was surprised at how stiff these felt in the initial part of the stroke. All in all im extremely happy and at £325 quid from hi-bike im not complaining.

The only thing i cant comment on obviously is durability but they will be getting hammered this year on everything from big Scottish mountains to a few Enduro races and a couple of trips abroad.

So fingers crossed on that point.

br
    Free Member

Mine are now 3 years and about 10-12k miles old. Still work brill but there is now wear on the stanchions.

I use the Magura service guy:

http://www.maguraspares.com/servicecentre.html

If you service yearly you’ll keep in the warranty – useful when I managed to crack a lower…, but he got it FOC 🙂

fizzicist
    Free Member

Mine were shite on a FS bike but worked a treat on my HT. I really like them.

mactheknife

fizzicist, out of curiosity what were the problems with the forks when running on a full suss?

Mine are on a 5 spot and felt good.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Got some three year old Durins and they are still running sweet as a nut. I drop the lowers about every three months, clean the seals and pop a bit of fox float fluid in the legs. Cracking forks. Quite a few people drop a spot of fork oil in the air chamber of these and Thors (up to 5ml) to make them a touch more progressive.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m running Thors on my Mojo (I replaced the Pikes it came with) and they’re brilliant. Massive weight difference between the 2, but no difference in the performance.

Main reason for swapping was weight, I was winding the pikes in for climbing but with the Thors I don’t have to. The FCR is pretty good as well, but I’ve not used it as the bike climbs brilliantly.

Bit of a hijack but I noticed a an oil ring on both stanchions so seals need replacing. Can I ask who offers a better service magura spares or race mechanic?

joolsburger
    Free Member

that oil ring is normal on maggies if its not there put oil in the lowers!!

br
    Free Member

This is who I used, very happy.

Mike

Racemechanic.co.uk

+44 7773 453681

http://www.racemechanic.co.uk

http://www.maguraspares.com

Speshpaul

two pairs for 3 years, well happy. i don’t understand why everyone hasn’t got them.

mactheknife

Speshpaul
    two pairs for 3 years, well happy. i don’t understand why everyone hasn’t got them.

That’s what i was thinking when i put this thread up. I guess most folk like sticking to the usual suspects but for the price i got these at it was a bit of a no brainer really.

eyerideit
    Free Member

that oil ring is normal on maggies if its not there put oil in the lowers!!

Thanks for clearing that up. 😳

I can see the seals little bubbles/foam when around the stanchions when they compress is that normal as well or do they need a service?

By the way this is when I’m stationary.

joolsburger
    Free Member

mine dont do that no. after a ride there is always an oil ring on the uppers but thats all. i always thought if oils getting out craps getting in but that has never happened

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thought it looked a bit iffy.

Off to race mechanic for a service they go.

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Magura Thor forks, well there is a surprise :-)’ is closed to new replies.