Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Magura Thor 2010 – thoughts?
  • psychle
    Free Member

I know there was a thread on this not too long ago, but I'm buggered if I can find it using the 'search' function…

Basically, I'm eyeing off the £400 Thor's from On-one, thinking they'll be good to go on an Ibis Mojo SL (I'm possibly maybe thinking of building) I like the idea of having travel adjust on the handlebar, I've grown used to it on my Enduro and the E150 fork… may not actually be necessary on a Mojo of course!

Anyhoo, is anyone running one of these? If so, what's it been like?

cheers 🙂

billysan
    Free Member

In a word, awesome. Ive been running a set of 2010 ones since last Oct on my HT Cannondale.

Coming from a lefty the only thing they lacked is the absolute suppleness, but they exceed in every other way. Very stiff, smooth, progressive and adjustable. They need more pressure than the guide suggests, but once set up you can just forget about them and enjoy them.

Very happy with my purchase. You wont be disappointed.

billysan
    Free Member

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Check past issues of STW. They have run a review of the 2009 every other month for some reason. Each conclusion has been 'disappointing'.

This months review of the 2010 Thor is much more positive. It finally is as good as they want it to be.

psychle
    Free Member

cheers Chucky, for some reason I just cannot get the search engine to find it! it's bloody useless 🙁

richc
    Free Member

I've got some and to tell the truth they are very disappointing as they aren't as supple as the Pikes they replaced (which had worn out) and seem to batter my hands.

Not sure if mine are 09 or 10 though, anyone know if you can get the internals upgraded to 2010's? might stick them on ebay soon if I can't get them feeling right

Crell
    Free Member

RichC

White crown = 10
    Black crown = 09

Suppleness isn't a criticism I'd level at them though

richc
    Free Member

mine are black crown so 09's then. Might explain the problems.

johnduke
    Free Member

richc – I emailed the distributor about upgrading internals on '09 thors as it was rumoured a while ago it would be possible but they replied definitely not

richc
    Free Member

bugger ebay it is then, never mind I only paid £250 for them so with some luck should get that for them

nickc

I really like my 09's. Once I got them set up properly. The handle bar remotes a bit gash though, both in build (it's a shoddy lump of plastic) and to operate, you need to flick the switch push and hold down the forks, then release the switch…When a I need a travel reduced fork for a section, I just take the compression damping off, which gives you a very active fork.

Crell
    Free Member

Rich, are they not supple because you're running with the AS+ lever on? I run with the AS+ lever off, a higher than recommended air pressure and just go off the sag setting. The forks are Very plush in that mode, but also eat the first 3-4 inches very quickly. If it gets v technical I then switch AS+ on. Not as supple in that mode but still pretty good.

If you persevere you can get them working very well.

Re converting the internals, there's a few threads on the magura support forum. Youcould do it 08-09 but it was prohibitively expensive.

Nick, you're right, the remote is crap, and from the pictures I've seen It looks exactly the same for 2010! 🙄

billysan
    Free Member

Agreed on the remote, the one on the 2010 model is a waste of time just like the previous ones. with practice you can still adjust the travel on the fly without though.

Also agree on the comment about the lack of suppleness being due to the AS+ being turned on. Leave it off and tweek air pressure to get it feeling right. I never use AS+ and to be honest have never felt the need to either!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Magura Thor 2010 – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.