Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Magura phaon, help needed
  • trailmoggy
    Free Member

Just bought a second hand set of magura phaons which need a little fettling, not being very familiar with magura forks i need help, ive rang magura and did'nt get much in the way of advise other than take them to a magura dealer to get them serviced which i don't wana do as i prefare to sevice them myself, i can't find much on the internet about servicing or how to diagnose problems.

I need to know a few things like why there is a lack of compession (even when the preload is ranked up and the compression adjuster is aswell) and ideally a diagram of how to service them. also i don't wana service them i find i needed to change something to get thecompresion to work corectly.

what oil do i need, it just says magura blood but what thickness is this?

any help would be gratefully recieved

trailmoggy@hotmail.co.uk

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

5 wt.
    The lube oil for the lowers is 30 wt.
    I've not taken a set of Phaons to bits, but the Durins are really simple inside. Magura don't do small parts, only complete damper assemblies. I'd check that it hasn't got any busted o-rings and the damper valves are moving and closing properly but that's about the only bits to go wrong.

Ewan
    Free Member

The manual here should be good:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=434278

trailmoggy
    Free Member

bikewisperer. would busted o-ribs cause a lack of compression? and are these standaed o-rings or do i need to get them from magura, is the damper a sealed unit i.e. you can't change the oil in it?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

the o-rings could make oil get where it doesn't belong.. i.e into the lower legs or make it bypassing a valve.. I was thinking that a lack of compression damping might be down to lost oil. I got o-rings from ebay when i needed them.
    The damper is not a sealed unit, but you can't get parts for it or change anything like the shim stack. Just check the ports are opening and closing properly when you move the adjuster.
    It's worth using a torque wrench on the lower bolts too as they're ally and I ham-fistedly snapped one on my Durins!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

cheers, what manual did you use to do this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Magura phaon, help needed’ is closed to new replies.