Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Magura MT5/7 Brakes Real world reviews
  • kjrogers

thinking about trying a set of magura mt5 or mt7 brakes. They get a really good review but was wondering if anyone can give a real world review.

Thanks

gee
    Free Member

I have some 5s on my tandem. They came on the bike.

If I was buying some brakes I’d just buy shimano.

The lever clamps are fragile plastic, the feel isn’t as positive as shimano and the lever travel is a bit random.

astormatt
    Free Member

Have some MT7 on my trigger. They are ok, agree with gee about feel. I don’t like i have gone back to 2 finger braking to get any descent stopping power out of them. I wouldn’t spend money replacing them as they work, just not as nice as my old M785’s.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Thats interesting, all the reviews have stated and dyno tests have shown that they are almost as powerful as Saints. And the reviews state that whilst they aren’t as positive feeling, that same characteristic results in better modulation.

Bled them? I’m interested because I’m thinking of getting a set of MT5’s.

woodster

I love my MT5s. Shimanos feel more positive, but not in a good way in terms of dialling in the exact amount of power you want all the way up to the insane levels of the Maguras. It was like learning to left foot brake a car, I had to adjust my perspective on sensitivity.

The complete lack of bling suits me fine and whilst they feel a bit plasticky, they’ve held up well so far and are properly light for a 4 pot brake.

flee5
    Free Member

Just got rid of some mt5s. Agree with the two finger comment power was really lacking for single finger and lever shape really only works well with two. The pads don’t last very well either have gone through 3 sets this winter. My other bike by comparison is still on the same pads from last summer running xt785’s.

gee
    Free Member

Yes they are powerful and can be modulated, but then they are running 200mm rotors on a tandem so they ought to be, really.

Yes they are bled properly…

goodgrief
    Free Member

Read about a few folk running MT5/7 callipers with shimano levers, sounds like a really good combo.

pipiom
    Free Member

Got the MT8’s on the Carbine and love em….positive (my XTR’s aren’t) just reliable and powerful. (I did smash a lever unit to bits after a particularly nasty OTB,however, but I think anything would have smashed.

ratherbeintobago

Is there still some issue with sintered pads and Magura brakes?

gonzy
    Free Member

one of my mates has a carbon jekkyl that came with MT7’s
    he had a stumble off the bike at BPW that resulted in the rear lever snapping off where the adjuster is…they look like good brakes but the lever design is a bit poor

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Which is about 20-30 quid in plastic to replace, I know a few people who have bent Hope tech levers enough to make them useless.

Crashing and breaking brake levers is pretty common tbh.

gonzy
    Free Member

Which is about 20-30 quid in plastic to replace, I know a few people who have bent Hope tech levers enough to make them useless.

Crashing and breaking brake levers is pretty common tbh.

not necessarily true in this case…the lever is made of some sort of composite alloy material and the break happened just before the reach adjuster is on the lever (see pic below)…pretty much at its weakest spot…the lever is riveted to the rest of the lever body so its about £85 for a new lever

ratherbeintobago

Are you sure? Google suggests you can get replacement lever blades for post-2014 redesigned MTs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, the individual levers are definately replacaable. MT5 levers are 22 euros, the MT7 levers are more expensive as they are a composite not alloy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Magura MT5/7 Brakes Real world reviews’ is closed to new replies.