Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Magura MT Trail Sport – Anyone tried them yet?
  • d45yth
    Free Member

Hi, I was going to replace my older XT brakes with the new ones, but after seeing unfavourable reviews was thinking of the Magura’s instead. The price seems good and I see they’ve the new one-finger levers. Has anyone got some or tried them yet?

jsync

Did you ever get any feedback on these?

nixie

Also interested. On paper they sound really good.

Kamakazie

Pretty sure the recent ‘what reliable brake thread’ had a few people running these with positive feedback.

wwaswas

There’s a review in the latest MBUK.

It’s a bit ‘meh’ to be honest but that was based on a £500 retail price for the carbon ones I think for a £160 the result may have been different.

I use Magura MT’s on all my bikes and really like the lever feel etc.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I use them. Really impressed. Like the shorter lever and seems to be plenty of power. Think they are very good for the price.

jsync

I hear the lever has a bit of flex on it, is that correct? How doe they compare to M785?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If the lever is flexing I’m not noticing but I’ve never really noticed brake lever flex before so maybe I’m just not sensitive to it. I will say it feels like a broader lever than Shimano which seems to suit my hands.

My last brakes were Zee and before that were Saint. These are as powerful as either of those so far and as mentioned above I feel they are a good value brake.

jsync

They sound interesting, the zee brakes are also on the list.

Are you running the mt5 / mt4 mix? Do you have the same size discs front and back?

Is anyone running them with Shimano discs?

nixie

The MT Trail is the mix of 4 pot front and 2 pot rear. So yes they will be running that mix. They are not a mt5 and mt4 though (even though very similar to buying that combo).

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I think they are slightly more basic versions of the MT5/4 but it looks to me that the difference is mainly cosmetic. IMO the MT Trail Sport are better as they come with the short lever pre installed whereas its an optional, expensive, retro fit upgrade on the MT5/4.

I run 203mm front and 180mm rear. For reference I’m well over 100kg and ride a mix of trail centres, ‘enduro’ style trails and Cairngorm mountain tracks.

matt_outandabout

I have the basic MT 2’s with 180mm rotors each end.

They just did a week in the Alps, with me at 14st being slowed down. Once on Organic pads, they were silent and powerfull all week.

If the other brakes are more powerful and ‘better’, then they must be ace.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. Tempted by a set of Maguras to replace my Shimano. Toss up between these and another set of Hopes at the moment. Preference for the latter as already have a set of E4s but a bit disappointed by the ‘grab’ when you really haul on the brakes. For those looking I did find the MT Trail Carbotecture ones ‘cheap’ for a pair in Germany albeit as Willy says the short levers would then be extra. Think it was Bikediscount.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Got a set of the basic MT02s and I like ’em, but the ‘carbotecture’ levers (plastic?) are flexible so you could describe the overall feel as spongy. It doesn’t bother me, but t’other half likes really firm on-off brakes so just wheeling mine around the car park she was “eurgh yuk”. Mine came as OE on a Norco and the guy in Evans even pre-warned me, saying people were bringing the bikes in for the free service asking for a brake bleed but it’s down to the lever.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

The short levers are much better than the standard longer levers on my wifes MT2’s IMO.

pickle
    Free Member

running MT5’s on one of my bikes and i’ve been impressed so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Magura MT Trail Sport – Anyone tried them yet?’ is closed to new replies.