• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Magura Menja fork?
  • sherry
    Free Member

Does anyone own or know if the 09 Magura Menja fork is any good? I’m thinking of buying the 130mm AM version for my hardtail. I have heard Magura forks have a harsh top out and can be a bit clunky?

justa
    Free Member

I’ve got an 08 version,

Brilliant fork, light and just about as stiff as a 20mm axle

Defintitely not clunky and never noticed a harsh top out….

pinches
    Free Member

top out? clunky? mine are buttery smooth and feel awesome. stiff as you like, reasonably light, lock out and allsorts!

sherry
    Free Member

I had the Odour forks a couple of years ago and they felt like the bushes were worn even from new and the DLO clunked about when engaged. I remember them being supper stiff and worked pretty well if you could put up with the above mentioned. would ideally like to try them out before buying.

wiiija
    Free Member

They are crazy plush for an air fork and basically awesome!, its made the rear end on my ex9 feel crap in comparison now though so I need a rear shock with a nice plush linear feel too :/

topangarider
    Free Member

The o8 is the same as the 09. My finding are similar to the good ones above. I tried a pair and was impressed by the stiffness – amazing! Saves knobbing about with 20mm axles. Pretty light and have a lockout should you want one.

Come with a pump too.

Very impressed. If you pay a bit more, you can get custom colours too!

kevonakona
    Free Member

Great fork (almost as good as my ronins) but the dlo cartridge imploded on mine, giving a horrible clunk, still worked well though. Now sorted and smooth as…..well….a really smooth thing.

RicB

I’ve got some 08 laurins (basically a Menja + floodgate) and the build quality is superb. Very, very stiff for a qr. All controls are aluminium, the seals are superb (foam rings barely discoloured after 12 months of night-riding duties), the damping is better than RS and they’re dead easy to service yourself. Lowers, air and damping cartridge serviced in <60mins using an allen key and adjustable spanner.

They can be very sensitive to air pressure though so experiment with +/- 5psi at a time…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

basic, but very very good. mines an 07 one, no idea whats changed since but IIRC the rebound has a new part number so maybe its taken care of.

the DLO is a lockout, doesnt realy maintain more than half an inch of sag.

the rebound is adequate, but could do with either seperate tuning to allow faster high speed rebound and slower low speed rebound or a different setup from the factory. Its more a comment than a complaint, it works perfectly well, but when ive got the rebound set as fast as i like, its barely containing the top out. Never seen inside, but suspect its more on orifice than a shim.

Compression damping is almost non existent, DeCarbon damper with orifice’s.

I’m picking holes in a very good fork, its very stiff and very low levels of sticiton, which IMO are the first two things i’d want in a fork. Its just that i’d like to be able to afford the extra compression damper, and a more advanced rebound damper.

jim
    Free Member

I can only repeat what everyone else has said, really nice, simple forks.

RicB

You can ‘add’ compression damping by using thicker oil in the damper cartridge. I’m using 15wt and it made a subtle but noticeable difference. Obviously you need to back off the rebound a little.

Putting some oil (5-10wt) in the air chamber (15-23ml) also increases the ramp-up and makes the fork a little less linear. I can run mine at 60psi instead of 70psi (70Kg with gear) without bottoming out too often, with noticeably better small bump sensitivity.

Some people use the AS floodgate (not on the menja) to add compression damping but this is at the cost of small bump compliance. Plus the fork suddenly ‘gives’ when you don’t want it to i.e. compressing it before a step-up. Front wheel tracking up hill also suffers.

rob2
    Free Member

got two pairs of 130mm and as everyone else said – an excellent fork.

RicB – Going to try the oil in the air chamber trick. cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Magura Menja fork?’ is closed to new replies.