Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Magura forks – any opinions?
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Never had a set of Magura forks, but they seem to offer a great spec on paper.

Anyone using them (especially interested in the Durin Marathon’s) wish to comment on how they perform?

schwimoid
    Free Member

Weve done magura at the shop for three years now and weve been very impressed with them!

Ill admit first gen ones were a bit hit or miss, i had a pair of first gen Wotans which were a port and orifice damping system made the forks extremely linear and the Seals were tooo good so made a bit of a stiction. I got rid of them pretty quickly,

Since then all Albert Select damping systems are a Shim based damping system, means there extremely tunable and now have a more progressive feel to them.

Also the seals have been slightly redesigned so there not as tight as they used to be, means less stiction but there still the best around at the moment.

Both myself and the boss use the forks, ive got a pair of Thors and the boss uses a pair of Durin Races, Boss’ Durins have been used for just over a year and i gave them there first service last week, the oil in both the lowers and in the stantions were completely clean, didnt even have to put new seals in they were so perfect!

We also have a pair of Durin Marathons on our Demo Cotic Soul and everyone that has taken them out has lots of praise for them. So depending where you stay you could come and have a shot of a pair, were bsaed in pitlochry Scotland, Just north of perth.

And last but not least they havent really raised there prices for this year!

RicB

As above. 2007 was a bad year for Magura; terrible remote lever, insufficient return spring in the lockout. But Magura sorted my 2007 Laurin under warranty; 4 day turnaround and upgraded it to 2008 spec parts for no extra cost.

Since then the fork has been great – very stiff and the seals are very good – after 12 months of twice weekly night riding the oil in the lowers was still crystal clear. Damping is better than my 130mm rev.

They are tricky to set up though – 5psi either way can be make or break. I ended up putting extra oil in the air chamber so I could run a lower pressure without bottoming out too easily. This is the main complaint from Thor owners if you search the forums.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RicB

Schwimoid – I presume I’ve got the port-orifice damper on a 2007 Laurin – can I buy the shim damper as a separate part or is it for the Wotan only?

schwimoid
    Free Member

Yeah will agree with the setup thing on the thor, doesnt seem to be a problem with the the other models but my thor has been a bit tricky to get it setup perfectly.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’ve got some 07 menja that are great. ran them at 130mm last year on my intense, over the winter dropped them to 100mm and now run them on my arc. when i reduced/serviced them i was very impressed with the quality of the internals. if i could find a decent set of 100mm durins at reasonable price i’d buy them like a shot.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

got the durins, got rid of the remote lock out lever (cost more to not have it!) as it was flimsy but the fork is brilliant imo, stiffer, tracks better and is lighter than the fox r100rlt i replaced.
    really pleased with it, confidence inspiring and makes you want to ride harder

schwimoid
    Free Member

Yes RicB you should be able to buy the 2008/09 internals for your laurins, The main difference externally is the gold adjuster is now alot larger and easier to adjust.

As far as changing it its just a case of taking the old one out and putting the new one in. If youve got a remote lockout one just now i would recomend getting the non remote version.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

All sounds very promising at the moment.

Good to hear they track well, as moving from QR15 to normal QR I don’t want a flexy fork as I would probably notice it more than before.

Swello
    Free Member

Got the Durin Race on my h/t – fantastic fork in my opinion.

zbonty

Pretty chuffed with my Thors at the moment. Aside from having new bushings/internals under warranty after 4 months riding!
    Great back up service from Magura Uk when it was needed though which was a pleasant surprise compared to others out there.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

2008 Durin 100ml SL’s here and they are the best fork I have ever owned in 18 years of biking. Just ordered some more for my second bike.

hora
    Free Member

Magura tend to use alot of!!! in all! their web! content! These forks are great! They are for all mountain use!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how often ar eyou lot changing/topping up oil?

Adders69
    Free Member

Durin Race here – bloomin' marvelous forks .. and nice 'n light too!! Bargain.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Just added the Odurs to my ride and they are lovely. Not light but solid, confident and very smooth.

Plus I get to make alot of flatulence related jokes which I consider a bonus!

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Riding Durin Marathons here – the cut down version without the remote travel adjustment. I too have found them fantastic but very tricky to get the pressure bang on. They are really stiff and plush but have a bit of a tendency to brake dive at the moment. Increasing the pressure stops this but reduces the bump sensitivuty etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Magura forks – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.