Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Magura Forks – Any Good? (What forks for my Soul?)
  • bgd
    Free Member

Looking to replace the aging Rebas on my Cotic Soul and quite like the look of the Magura Durins or Menjas. Whilst the Rebas have been faultless I fancy a change but know nothing about Magura forks.

Are they as good as the Rock Shox and Fox offerings or should I stick to what I know? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

stompy

Got some Magura Laurins (actually for sale if your interested)….. had no problems with them at all, super plush and smooth. Take a while to set up right but once dialled in they are better than my Pikes…… Double arch design makes for a stiff lower half, not far off bolt thru.

I know it's all personal preference when it comes to forks. I don't use Fox due to the wear they seem to endure if you don't maintain them every 5 minutes. I'd stick to Magura and Rockshox…….

Read the reviews that are floating around the net, Magura forks are very highly rated.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have a Durin on my Hardtail and a Thor on my FS. Both are significantly better than the Fox/RS I had before. Stiffer, better small bump response, better damping, and lower maintenance.

Highly recommended.

Boris

joolsburger
    Free Member

I run Durin 120's on my Joker stiff, light and easy to set up and maintain.

Highly recommended.

richcc
    Free Member

I've had Phaons on my Soul for about 5 years. A bit tired now but very well made forks – just in the process of swapping them for some…new Rebas!

poppa
    Free Member

I have Menjas. They are very plush, but it can be a fiddle initially to get the balance between setting the fork to the right spring rate with no dive. This appears to be a common trait for Magura forks. Once you get it right, you needn't touch it again though.

I like them very much – I used to have a Rockshox U-Turn fork but realised that I never used the travel adjust, so went for something simpler. I have heard of heavier people not getting on with them though, due to the spring rate/dive thing. FWIW I am 85kg and they're fine for me.

EDIT: Apparently they are about as stiff as QR forks get. I have never tried bolt through, so can't really comment.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

130 Menjas on a PA. I can't find as bad word to say about them: plush, track well (very for QR), pretty light and are well made. I've had Fox (Vanillas and Talis) and Rockshox (Rebas) and I'd probably choose Magura over them for low maintenance reliability and a 'just right' feel. The only minor quibble is that I have to undo the QR to get the wheel out but it's not exactly a tricky job.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I forgot to mention mine were sub 250 off tinterweb

rob2
    Free Member

joolsburger – where did you pick up your durins from?

B_Leach
    Free Member

Got a pair of Durin 120's too, bloody lovely things!

I will attest to them being a bit of a pain to set up in the first place, but after that you can forget about them for an age..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Magura Thors (140mm) seem fine to me. Very very stiff and accurate tracking with the double arch thing and a 20mm Maxle.

Not as plush as a coil fork but no bad for air.

I loved my very old coil revelations but swapped them for very heavy Pikes. Both were good in their own way. I love my Fox 36 Vans but they're too heavy (and long really) for my 456. Pain for servicing though and they just need it too frequently.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Quite like the look of the Thors. How do they compare to Pike Airs?

How is DIY servicing on Maguras?

andytherocketeer

Can't fault my Menjas (on Soul).

Servicing is officially thru official sources only, but there's pdf manual and videos available. Looks pretty straightforward, although I've not dismantled mine yet.

drain

What poppa and B_Leach said. Like you, I love the Rebas and they're super reliable (still use them on another bike) but the Durin Marathons (100-120) have been a, er, revelation in how stiff they are by comparison.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I got mine from a US ebay seller called goodbikedeals.

He has sporadic stock but it's worth checking, paid 229 + 20 quid post.

Basic lube service is a doddle by the way and the seals have been good over the winter rode in all manner of crap and when I popped them open for a lube clean as a whistle inside.

Very well made things.

rbrstr
    Free Member

I run Ronin's on two of my bikes, insanely complicated internals and an arse to service but the best build quality on any fork, superb performance and only 1.2kg

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I am running Maguras on all bikes this year. Total convert.

Brake dive can be difficult to dial out on the 100mm Durins, but there are a few tricks that can be done which really help.

Magura tech guys fitted a foam ring and some oil to the air chamber, seems to have worked well.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I used to have 100mm rebas on my soul, now have 100mm durins

They are very nice – easy to set-up, lighter than the rebas and the double arch feels pretty stiff.

The look nicer (in white) than the old grey rebas too

Gordymac
    Free Member

Magura tech guys fitted a foam ring and some oil to the air chamber, seems to have worked well.

Where do you get them serviced in the Uk?

Gordymac

poppa
    Free Member

I got mine serviced by the official Magura people (person?). Mail order to a guy in Ashby, the service was very good. The cost of the service was actually quite reasonable I think, but the courier there and back adds a fair bit.

Magura website says: maguratechsupport@racemechanic.co.uk

Ask at the Magura forums if that doesn't work: http://www.support-english.magura.com/

joolsburger
    Free Member

There is a service video on the website and a basic lube service is a 20 minute job,if that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

enduro fork seals in the US are doing seal kits now as well, ordered some and now torn between keeping them and selling them. Got mine from the USA when it was $2.10:£1 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Magura Forks – Any Good? (What forks for my Soul?)’ is closed to new replies.