Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Magura bleed kits, what a joke.
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

So I have 2 sets of Louise’s, one with an EBT port one without. I thought I’d better go for the pro bleed. Looked like I would need it for the non EBT set. I wrote to CRC to ask if the pro kit came with the EBT adaptor. It doesn’t and they said I’d have to buy both kits. What a joke, almost £60. So the so called pro kit only bleeds their older brakes? Ridiculous.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yeah plenty of fluffing about with those shite brake system … go with Hope or Shimano next time as I know I will.

Alternatively, is to shout around on the forum to see if some one can lend/let one to you …

Mine is Magura Louise FR and am having a headache trying to figure out how to bleed them.

I am definitely not getting Magura in future nor other brands apart from the above two.

😡

fudge9202
    Free Member

Good video on YouTube simples!
    BTW they are great brakes, fit and forget!

mudmonster
    Free Member

I quite like the idea of mineral oil. Should have gone with Shimano really as they feel amazing, but I went with Magura as my friends Marta’s also felt great. Think I’ll buy the mini kit and borrow my friends pro kit.

chewkw
    Free Member

Guess what my very old Hope C2 only bled once in 10 years (still no need to bleed) and they are still going well while this Magura shite need bleeding after 3 years!

lalazar
    Free Member

You can buy a bleed nipple from your local car spares shop for about 50p. Mineral oil is the same as the Citroen hydraulic fluid about a fiver a litre. Bit of hose and a syringe and you’ll have a bleed kit with loads of fluid for less then a tenner.

captaindanger

yeah I’ve got several pairs of maguras and have found bleeding them, which I haven’t had to do much, very easy. From memory there’s one funny screw connector (possibly what lalazar is referring to) and apart from that it’s just a few syringes.

Plus mineral oil seems to be less unpleasant and temperamental than dot fluid.

MaguraServiceCentre
    Free Member

Hi mudmonster,
    To answer your question about the Magura Pro Bleed kit, it DOES come with the EBT adaptor.
    To be fair though, in the Service Centre we bleed everything with the cap off & 2 syringes (one has the bleed port adaptor fitted to the hose)
    With the new MT series, the empty syringe fits directly into the EBT port in the master.
    In response to chewkw, you could always ring us at Service to help out. The FR is relatively straight forward.

I hope this helps.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice to hear from Magura Service Centre :mrgreen:

Could you advise your brake designers to designer a brake system that is easy to bleed please. i.e. do not require special tools for a start.

I will have a look at youtube but I will still need to buy some bleed nipples for them …

🙂

MaguraServiceCentre
    Free Member

Hi chewkw,

The newer brake systems are a lot easier to deal with than the older ones, so they are listening to customers….just takes a little while!

Here is a quick link to the bleed nipples I found for you:

http://www.maguraspares.com/partsstore/prod_1771153-Bleed-Adaptor-for-Syringe-to-Caliper-pack-of-5.html

Cheers

letmetalktomark

To add a slightly more positive perspective ……

I have a range of Magura brakes – one pair going back to the early noughties – I use the basic bleed kit for all of them.

Never once have I had an issue 😕

The newer brakes I have, Louise Carbon etc, are an absolute cinch to bleed.

Mind you only time I have needed to bleed Magura brakes is when shortening/replacing hoses.

stumpy01

I’m currently considering replacing the Juicy’s on my Inbred.

Merlin are doing good deals on Elixirs, Magura MT2s, Shimano Deore/SLX and Hayes Strokers…….I’m tempted to get the Elixirs as I have them on the other bike and I already have a bleed kit.

It annoys me that you pay a fair chunk of money for a set of brakes and then have to spend £35 for a bleed kit which consists of a syringe, a couple of fittings and some brake fluid. If the bleed kits cost a tenner, they’d still be making a profit on it….

EDIT – I meant to say, I’ve had Magura Julies in the past and found them to be good brakes, but am put of getting the MT2s if a bleed kit is going to cost £35.

Hooter
    Free Member

I have several sets of Louises from 5+ years ago. They are quite straight forward to bleed. The only niggle is when taking out the bleed nipple from the caliper it always dribbles a bit of oil out before you can get the grub screw back in… anyone know a way to stop that? Turn the bike upside down or something?

MaguraServiceCentre
    Free Member

Hi Hooter,

The brake caliper always dribbles a bit of oil. It isn’t an issue & does not cause a problem. Just hold a bit of tissue around the bleed port as you fit the grub screw.

Cheers

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thanks, so I can bleed the EBT set by taking the whole cap off? So I could just get the mini service kit? Just to add to the confusion, CRC says under description for the mini service kit. “The MAGURA rim brake service kit contains everything you need to repair and bleed your MAGURA rim brake”.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

I got a looky-likey bleed kit from somewhere off the web for about a tenner, from a BMX place I think it was, which worked fine with my 2007 Martas (no EBP)

MaguraServiceCentre
    Free Member

Hi mudmonster,

Yes thats right. Remove the whole cap, bleed it through, refit the cap & EBT plug/screw BEFORE removing the filling syringe.

Magura made life a little difficult for retailers about 2 years ago. There used to be a RIM service kit (containing all rim brake bits) & a DISC service kit.

This changed to a Mini Service Kit, containing everything needed for both the disc & rim brakes.

There is also a Pro Service Kit, the main difference being the clamp for the handlebar which isn’t needed for the MT series brakes

Hope this helps

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Magura bleed kits, what a joke.’ is closed to new replies.