Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Magpies- What the ****, a Hitchcock film?
  • hora
    Free Member

So our dog goes and sits in his normal spot by the gate and two Magpies are taking turns trying to get to his rear to nip him. Witnessed a few strikes.

Wierder still. Our Westie has killed a Magpie previously and another smaller bird. Why didn't he lunge?!

Then alittle later, something banged against the living room window- went outside and theres a magpie picking at a pigeons body (now binned).

Bingos front leg has cuts (from pecks?) on it.

snowslave

They are re-incarnated souls and they have selected your dog for ritual slaughter. Probably.

My step dad used to trap them and dispatch them by hand. He got a cage with a simple trap door, divided in 2. Put a magpie from another area into 1 section and he kept it fed and watered. The local magpies heard its' squawks, came to beat its' head in and got in the trap. Then he'd beat them on the bonce with a brick. Which is incredibly cruel, Probably illegal, & the equivalent of getting rid of a wasps nest by picking them off one by one with an air rifle, but it seemed to make him feel better. Til they got him in his sleep….

hora
    Free Member

When I picked up the dead bird they were lined up watching me. I'd have done anything for an air rifle at that moment however its a windy day today so I'd have probably shot the neighbours house instead..

Pigface
    Free Member

Thats a classic magpie trap, a mate has one on the go at the moment. Like magpies but they do play havoc on the songbird population. Possibly worse than cats. Had a pet one as a kid which I rescued, stayed with us for about 18 months.

MrSmith
    Free Member

He got a cage with a simple trap door, divided in 2. Put a magpie from another area into 1 section and he kept it fed and watered.

it's called a Larsen trap.
    they probably have young nearby which explains the behavior towards the dog.
    the scratches are not from the magpies, do you seriously think a dog would let it's front legs be pecked by them without chomping them?
    they are probably marks from trying to dig a tunnel to escape the insanity.

Houns

My cats just sit and watch them eat the left over food out of their bowls when i feed them outside.
    I put this down to the fact that everyone of the cats i've ever had have killed a magpie and brought it back, after they did this they were very i'll. I assume that magpie is poisonous or that full of germs that cats don't bother with them anymore

dano
    Free Member

Dude, you should try riding in australia…Over these they have a slightly different magpie, they are bigger and much more aggressive. In the spring to summer months they will 'swoop' anyone or anything which goes within about 2 miles of the nest site. often, the first you know is when you hear a loud clapling noise, which is the wings hitting together as they try to take your head off, they will actually hit into your head and try to take you out. This actually puts me off riding certain trails in the adelaide hills when I visit the area….hardcore…

skidartist
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

So theres another dead bird in the front garden. This time a large Pigeon.

Can you legally use a large flamethrower in a urban area?

I might just have the tree next to our house knocked down!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We've got a Magpies nest out the back but you can never see them for all the foliage. the basta**s are psychic too, as soon as I go for the old Airsporter they p!ss off!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Magpies are very intelligent corvids the damage to the song bird population is a myth, if you want to know what's happened to the songbirds then you only have to look towards the changes in farming and the domesticated cat.

Leave them be, they do no harm.

hora
    Free Member

Leave them be, they do no harm.

You do realise I live next door to Omen Magpie?

zaskar
    Free Member

dano – Member
    Dude, you should try riding in australia…Over these they have a slightly different magpie, they are bigger and much more aggressive. In the spring to summer months they will 'swoop' anyone or anything which goes within about 2 miles of the nest site. often, the first you know is when you hear a loud clapling noise, which is the wings hitting together as they try to take your head off, they will actually hit into your head and try to take you out. This actually puts me off riding certain trails in the adelaide hills when I visit the area….hardcore…

I walked to my GF's house in Sydney North shore, Huge magpies-gorgeous colours but swooping down on kids etc!

corroded
    Free Member

I walked to my GF's house in Sydney North shore, Huge magpies-gorgeous colours but swooping down on kids etc!

My Aussie girlfriend had to carry an umbrella when walking to school when she was a kid. Aussie magpies are badass birds.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I hate magpies, evil feckers, picking at and killing other little birds round here.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

You can attract the younger birds by shaking a box of matches … then pick em off with the airsporter 😛

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

They've seen your boots.

zaskar
    Free Member

😆

Attracted to shiny Hora's bike:

showerman
    Free Member

zaskar that looks like the new hd freeview add 😆

psychle
    Free Member

My Aussie girlfriend had to carry an umbrella when walking to school when she was a kid. Aussie magpies are badass birds.

Between Magpies and Plovers, my walk to school in Spring was a dangerous affair!

That's an Aussie Magpie in action… tough feckers they are, leave you with nasty scratches! We used to carry a tennis racquet to try and swat them away sometimes…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You can attract the younger birds by shaking a box of matches … then pick em off with the airsporter
    Swans to attract the Maggies eh? I'll give that a go!

showerman
    Free Member

NO NO swans are not a good idea they are bad assed bastards if you get on the wrong side of them, was in henley on thames many years ago a guy was winding one up bad through his office window told him not a good idea next thing its in his office giving it to him large he ended up it hopital still brings a smile to me now yuppy twit

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Magpies- What the ****, a Hitchcock film?’ is closed to new replies.