Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Magnetic or fluid trainer?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Looks like my elite novo force is no longer a force. I only have £150 to spend at wiggle (voucher + money) or less at any other store. Is there a big difference between a mag v fluid trainer? Noise is not an issue as i use it in the garage but would prefer a bit more reliability as the last 2 mag trainers both failed. Any suggestions welcome?

blader1611
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

cheers_drive

By my Elite Chrono Fluid for £60 if you can collect from Cambridgesire? Very little use, selling because I got a smart turbo for Zwift.
    For dumb trainers mag is much nicer than Mag iIME.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I decided to go fluid. Wasn’t bothered about Zwift and believed all the hype about fluid being more realistic and happy to vary ‘resistance’ via the gears rather than a brake. It definitely does feel pretty natural so no regrets. But haven’t ridden a magnetic one so can’t compare.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My minoura mag trainer has always been reliable.

The advantage of fluid trainers is they’re quiet.

The advantage of mag trainers is they’re consistent (fluid loses resistance as it warms up, so could affect zwift, TR etc).

TBH though my minoura is pretty quiet (compared to the cyclops mag it replaced), most of the noise seems to be the tyre and rear wheel. So I’d say mag, but if you’re breaking them I’d just get whatever has the longest warranty, or try a fluid and see if it is any better.

p.s. if you’re in Reading I’m thinking of selling my turbo and trying rollers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well designed fluid one, like a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Mag feels rubbish once you’ve ridden a fluid turbo. And well designed ones cope well with fluid temp.

P.s I’m near Reading and thinking about selling some rollers 🙂

PPS I’ve also got a Minoura Twin Mag 760 for sale if you really fancy mag, though I’d still recommend fluid. Actually I’d recommend air like a LeMond but they are hard to get hold of (I’ve got one as my spare turbo but I’m not selling that!)

blader1611
    Free Member

The elite chrono fluid is the one i am looking to purchase from wiggle.

Sadly chaps i am up north but thank you for the offers of turbos and rollers.

I think my mag failures are probably caused by me as i always seem to catch the resistance cable and it ends up breaking somehow. Current elite isnt broken in any way its just that i cant seem to keep the cable attached to the magnet in the unit so i cant change the resistance. Its a simple device but i just cant seem to get it to work properly yet i cant really see why,very frustrating. I think one to many catches have ruined the cable itself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Magnetic or fluid trainer?’ is closed to new replies.