Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Magnesium pedals
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Are they that fragile? I am thinking about getting some Superstar Mag Ti pedals as part of my mission to try and remove a bit of weight off my Banshee.

Oh, and yes I know tyres are probably the most important weight saving element, but I am working on that too.

thv3
    Free Member

Haven't had any problems with my MG1's. Been pretty well abused and lasted well, so thumbs up from me.

br
    Free Member

V12 mags and Ti spindles (380g the pair) here – not had a problem

glenh
    Free Member

No problem with my wellgo magnisium v12s.

rudedog
    Free Member

Been using MG1s for the last 18 months and they still have all their pins intact – paint has pretty much totally worn off though!

chakaping
    Free Member

My MG1s lasted OK, but the metal was definitely softer than alu ones and they did tend to deform and lose pins easily.

I'd only buy more if I wasn't going to ride them anywhere rocky.

If you don;t tend to bash your pedals though, it's probably not a problem.

jedi

wellgo mg1 are to soft. pins rip out easily and they wear quick on the contact point of the platform

tron
    Free Member

All I know is that magnesium car wheels are binned far more regularly than aluminium ones. Are they that much lighter for the extra fragility?

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Had my Wellgo Mags for about 4 years now. Looking a bit worse for wear and a few pins missing but still going strong on my big bike.

mikey74
    Free Member

That is what worries me (- referring to Tron's comment -). The Superstar Mag Lite pedals weigh 340g (275g with the ti axle) and it does concern me that they may be too light.

I currently have some Tioga Surefoot Pro pedals that weigh about 460g and have stood up to everything, including being clouted on rocks in the Whistler bike park. So basically I'd have to spend a fair bit of money to make a weight saving worth having: Is it worth it?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

If you go for DMR mags, just don't get them near road salt/grit, totally obliterates the magnesium and corrodes the seen to be magical pedal material.

kevster
    Free Member

I was thinking the same thing, ended up going for aluminium pedals on the basis of long term durability.

thomthumb
    Free Member

wellgo mg1 are to soft. pins rip out easily

yep – missing a couple of pins.

retro83
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

That is what worries me (- referring to Tron's comment -). The Superstar Mag Lite pedals weigh 340g (275g with the ti axle) and it does concern me that they may be too light.

I currently have some Tioga Surefoot Pro pedals that weigh about 460g and have stood up to everything, including being clouted on rocks in the Whistler bike park. So basically I'd have to spend a fair bit of money to make a weight saving worth having: Is it worth it?

I'm using the SuperStar ultra mags. (Non-ti version)

No problems yet with the pedal body or the bearings. Only issue is that the paint has come off when I've clipped them on rocks. They've not cracked or dented though, nor have any pins gone walkies. I got them September 2009.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Could you easily start a fire with them if you were stranded? That would be a plus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Magnesium pedals’ is closed to new replies.