Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Magic Mary+Rock Razor Combo for week in Samoens? (Sorry about the Tyre thread)
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Heading off soon and thought i’d take the opportunity to spend some money on new gear before I go.

A rambly explanation of where I am at the moment…

Currently have a Crossmax enduro wheelset with the Standard Mavic Charge 2.4″ and Roam 2.1″ tyres.

After about 6 months of use I’ve decided that I don’t really trust the Charge versus other tyres I’ve ridden in the past but it’ll be ok as a back up.

I’m happy with the Roam, although i’d prefer a bit more volume and width on the back to cope with rougher ground. I don’t tend to experience the problems people usually complain about i.e. the tyre being relatively vague because of the different tread profiles. I also like the fact that they’re quite fast rolling because of the low profile centre.

Have read most of the reviews that I can find for the MM and the RR and like the sound of the tyres. I understand the draw back of running a semi-slick type tyre on the back but the Roam is basically the same. I’ve also searched to see what I can find in terms of the combo and use in the Alps but there’s not much to form an opinion from.

Having never been to the Alps i’m not sure whether the large tread of the MM is suitable, in some articles It’s recommended as a light mud/loam tyre. Not knowing what to expect in terms of trails I don’t want to splash out on a completely unsuitable tyre.

I also note, most people recommend HR or Ardents on the STW threads I’ve read or Minions. I’ve not really considering the HR/Ardents because they’ve got similar tread profiles to the Charge. I can’t go down the Minion 2.5″ route because the bike, although 27.5″ runs a 26″ Deville (YT Capra standard issue, not me cutting corners!) and I don’t think i’ll squeeze it in under the fork bridge.

On to what I’m mulling over…

I need some help deciding on which of the options below I should go with:

1. Magic Mary (Snake Skin, Trailstar) up front, Rock Razor (Snake Skin, Pacestar) on the back.

2. Magic Marys all round (Snake Skin, Trailstar front/Pacestar rear)

3. Magic Mary up front, Hans Dampf on the back.

4. Something else? Perhaps Maxxis Shorty Exo 3c or WTB Vigilante up front? I’ve read the Shorty comparison thread on STW but not heard much about the Vigilants other than seeing them about.

The snake skin casing appeals because I can save 330g (MM&RR) across both wheels versus what I’m using at the moment. I’m generally quite light on tyres & I’ll be running tubeless so unless I tear the tyre I shouldn’t face too many problems (i hope). I know this goes against what most people recommend, which is to go dual ply or DH casings but it’s a chance I’m willing to take since I’ll be taking the dual ply crossmax tyres with me. Is this out and out stupidity?

I’m going for a Trailstar out front because I don’t think I’ve seen a Snakeskin Vertstar combo, does it exist?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I haven’t been particularly impressed with the durability of any Schwalbe tyre on clients’ bikes. I’d recommend a big Maxxis or Michelin. Been on High Rollers and Minions for years, currently riding Michelin Wild Rock’r2 (all in big, tough varieties).

Just got a new bike with Schwalbes fitted as standard (Magic Mary + Hans Dampf) so going to give them a go until my new Michelins turn-up….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

My two penneth:

Rock Razor = Pinchflat magnet (snakeskin). Of the group of friends who’ve had them delivered as standard on new bikes, none have lasted more than a couple of rides before swapping out for a dual ply Minion.
    I never even bothered fitting the one that came with my bike. Stuck a dual ply Larsen TT on tubeless instead. A much more robust alternative as a Summer tyre.

Magic Mary = Excellent all round tyre but susceptible to ripping the side knobs off (durability). Snakeskin trailstar is tough-enough for front.

ste_t
    Free Member

I think my rock razor pacestar is great. Rolls well, grips when I need it to but predictable when it slides.

But then I do love my Ikon rear on the 29er so I’m clearly a bit odd.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Bit of a resurrection…

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Decided to go with the super gravity casings on both tyres. Vertstar MM looks good although the RR is a little disappointing, I’m now considering sending back for something with a bit more tread down the centre line – didn’t anticipate it would be even more low profile than the tread on the roam!

welshfarmer

@ste_e that is interesting. I love my IKON on the 29er rear, in all weathers. great tyre.

On a German MTB forum I frequent there is a long running thread (as in hundreds of pages!!) about best tyre combo for the Alps. I guess the fact that Schwabe are German may have an influence, but the MM/fr and RR/rear seem to be the consistent recommendation on there. Bear in mind that they will be trail riding up and down most weekends rather than a week of gravity asisted hammering it on prepared pistes so may not suit the OPs needs as well as some beefier tyres

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary+Rock Razor Combo for week in Samoens? (Sorry about the Tyre thread)’ is closed to new replies.