Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Magic mary , Rock razor combo !!!!
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Any good in 29er variety? only at £100 the pair feedback would be cool. My concern is that the front may drag !!!!

downhilldave

Had a Magic Mary and the nobs started to tear near the base. Maxxis don’t do this 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had a Magic Mary and the nobs started to tear near the base. Maxxis don’t do this

Had a 29″ HR2 do the very same in under 150km, had to send it back.

I have a 2.4 Mary, supergravity version, on the front of my Capra, WTB trail boss rear. Really good combo, Mary is a beast of a tyre, digs in and sheds well. It’s not great on hardpack, but I don’t really ride that anyway. Capra came with 2.4 HR2 front and rear, now that was draggy….

Edit – and I like to have diff brands f and r, a sort of anti OCD….. 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

Used to run this combo. Razor lasted about 2 rides and was cut to shreds. Gone to a trailboss, not one hole at all even after a week in Sierra Nevada

mboy
    Free Member

Done about 250 miles off-road on this combo so far on my 29er and love it! None of the knob tearing afflictions I had with a Hans Dampf so far.

Not normally a Schwalbe MTB tyre fan, but this is an ace combo for ultimate grip up front and fast and loose out back. Highly recommended.

is combo. Razor lasted about 2 rides and was cut to shreds. Gone to a trailboss, not one hole at all even after a week in Sierra Nevada

Now I like the Trail Boss, but it’s far more of a high volume XC tyre than the Razor. For starters, it has no edge bite, lean it over and it slides, albeit progressively and controllably, but without the edge knobs the Razor has its nowhere near as grippy when pushed.

scaled
    Free Member

I ran that combo for Enduro2, it’s great fun. Steep stuff is fine, mud is just about ok.

Muddy and steep and it was bloody hilarious, I was pretty much just digging the front in and letting the back fishtail about behind me.

I’m going to carry on running it in the UK, it should be great here

mboy
    Free Member

Muddy and steep and it was bloody hilarious, I was pretty much just digging the front in and letting the back fishtail about behind me.

Got taken down some of the Enduro tracks at Afan the other week, after it had rained for most of it. Was running this tyre combo and, exactly as you say… Front dig in incredibly, rear ended fish failed about until leant over when it just dug in incredibly! Had I known what we were riding before, I may have fitted a Minion DHR2, but honestly the Razor was way more capable than it looks. Especially once leant over! And as soon as any tracks opened up the speed boost was laughable!

sambob
    Free Member

Got this combo in supergravity form from Bergfreunde.de for £60, I’d definitely reccommend them.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The problem with the razor is braking in a straight line in loose stuff. It’s fast and fine in the twisties, but fall line braking on weathered rock with a sharp turn at the top of a cliff is where it’s at its worst.

trusty

Pretty much what’s been said above, great combination. I’d definitely go for the Trailstar razor, manages well in a surprising amount of conditions.

momo

NAyone tried the rock razor with a Hans Dampf up front? I’ve got a stack of them and fancied trying something a bit faster on the back. Already running Butcher/Slaughter combo on my HT but wanted something a bit burlier for the FS

dingleberry
    Free Member

HD/RR is what I’m running at the moment – Great combo for the not tooooo muddy conditions we’ve had recently.

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t tried the Rock Razor but the Minion SS is similar and brilliant. It’s squarer than the RR so the side knobs engage sooner, and they’re wider spaced so there should be some more braking grip when turning (but still not much in a straight line).

noahhowes
    Free Member

As above, I found the RR great in everything except straight and steep where it can’t brake for toffee and I kept grabbing handfuls of front brake which didn’t always end well. Unfortunately my local trails have a fair few straight and steep sections between corners that became a little more sporting that I would have liked with it fitted.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Running a rock razor with a wtb up front, great combo.

When it gets wetter I run a trail boss on the back

andysredmini
    Free Member

I use a magic mary rock razor in the summer and find it brilliant for most of my riding. I have recently found that the rock razor is not as good on sustained technical very steep riding over around -30% gradient. I completely cocked up a few runs that I have never struggled with when running my winter hans dampf on the rear. I was starting to get the hang of it after a few runs though and I’m looking forward to getting some more practice in. It was fun sliding round which is what its all about for me and -30% gradient isn’t that common round these parts apart from one place I ride a few times a year.

mark_rich
    Free Member

What about a spesh slaughter grid, side walls are fairly thick. I think they are a lot tougher than a flimsy rock razor but lighter than the gravity version.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@momo – only a few rides in, but loving the HD/RR combo so far.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Magic mary , Rock razor combo !!!!’ is closed to new replies.