Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Magic Mary on the back?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any good?

Quite liking it as a front tyre

(29er)

mboy
    Free Member

Do you like pedalling through treacle?

If the answer is yes… Go Ahead!

If the answer is no… Fit something much faster rolling.

Personally, I’m finding the really rather scary looking Rock Razor a very good match on the back with a Mary up front. The rear has way more affect on overall drag than the front (and a Mary up front is noticable in terms of drag anyway), so pair it with something very fast rolling on the back. The Rock Razor has tonnes of edge bite, where it matters, and it also teaches you to get off the back brake and do more with the front (as you should be doing anyway).

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’m thinking ahead to winter – don’t fancy a Rock Razor on the back in the gloop

slimporcini
    Free Member

i ran a mary on the back this winter and thought it was awesome! just manned up as far a drag goes

andysredmini
    Free Member

The rock razor is great this time of year and mine stayed on longer into the wet winter than I expected. I use a hans dampf on the rear during winter and find it excellent. Hans dampf seem to get universal hate on here but where I ride they are very good and liked by a lot of local riders. I would also look at the new nobby nick. I have just put the lightweight one on the back of my anthem (hans dampf front) and I’m very impressed. Fast rolling but good uphill traction and good cornering too. I reckon the heavier duty ones would make a good trail bike rear. Durability on the hans dampf, rock razor and nobby Nic has all been really good too.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Definitely an exercise in manning up but if you want maximum grip in wet muddy conditions it’s a hard combo to beat. A Minion DHR2 is a good alternative. It rolls better, still grips reasonably well in the wet and sheds mud ok. I’m also looking at the new E Thirteen dual compound TRS and Conti Baron Projekt for rear duties this Autumn / winter.

chrishc777
    Free Member

A mate managed podium at Fort Bill BDS with one on the rear so good for that. If you need to pedal up the hill though get a hans dampf or minion dhrii

clubby

Ran one on the rear all winter and it was great. Mind you, my winter riding consists of wet woods and roots, where grip is way more important than rolling drag. Depending on where you ride it may well be overkill.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I bet it’s grippy as hell, for 5 minutes before the tyre falls apart.

teethgrinder

Not an MM, but running a Geax Datura 26×2.2″. A bit like a Mary but thinner, excellent in the mud.

Paceman
    Free Member

Magic Mary front and Hans Dampf rear works really well for me.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got a supergravity Mary on the back of the lighter “all dayer” bike at the moment. It’s a bit draggy but not massively so. Not much different to the supergravity HD that’s on the bigger bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary on the back?’ is closed to new replies.