Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Magic Mary: OK for general XC/trail winter slop
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Put one on the Carbine for enduro gnarly stuff and I quite like it so far…..would this be a good winter,general, tyre?

A tyre thread,I know,but a specific one at least.

darrenspink
    Free Member

The only issue I found in mid winter is that it becomes a fred flintstone type wheel by picking up mud on its sidewall.

Northwind

Yeah, as long as you’ve got a bit of clearance, it’ll do the job better than most. Though, it’s a bit hairier than the best options on wet roots etc.

Kahurangi

I used mine last winter, great round the port hills where it does get a little slidey in the wet.

Pretty draggy and did gunk up a lot in the clart. Mind, all of us did. Just the Mary was the worst hit as it was the knobbliest.

/edit – we all know NW rates the Shorty over the MM. I was running the SuperGravity carcass with a Vertstar front and Trailstar rear. Never wanting for grip and damn near puncture proof (well, I never punctured in 1 season).

Northwind

For fairness, I’m always comparing the trailstar- vertstar I’ve not used, but the stickier rubber could make all the difference. I think trailstar vs 3C shorty is a pretty fair comparison all round mind

tom.nash

Shorty EXO 3C MaxxTerra all the way about 24psi tubeless 😀

gelert
    Free Member

Does the Mary hold onto less muck than the Hans Dampf up front?

I ran the HD last winter and it clogged up something rotten sometimes. Dug in well and got through but at the expense of being 2x heavier afterwards and taking ages to clear.

Kahurangi

I also like to keep it fair 😉 I haven’t ridden the shorty at all – one of my mates did and he loved it but it just didn’t look as purposeful as the Mary.

Compared to the HD, the MM has bigger gaps so it shouldn’t hold on to as much crud. They’d clear better than the HD as they have bigger gaps but bigger knobbles.

My 3C HR2’s were pretty fast wearing but not as fast wearing as the vertstar.

I wouldn’t ever suggest the Vertstar for a XC/Trail tyre though, maybe a Trail/DH tyre, which is what I sued it for. Road miles were not generally much of my rides in those tyres.

In conclusion, peacocks are only he male of the bird. Peahen is the correct name for the female and Peafowl is the species.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m very happy with MM as a front tyre. (it’s a 2.5″ vertstar “special” for Liteville, built on a Fat Albert carcass).

The rear NEEDS to be a Supergravity one though, anything less just gets punctured/slashed/pinched far too easily on the rougher stuff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary: OK for general XC/trail winter slop’ is closed to new replies.