Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Magic Mary – Draggy in the dry?
  • J273
    Free Member

Im looking for a new front tyre – Ive been running a hans dampf since they were first released and can’t fault them.

Im thinking of trying a MM this time around. I’m a fit and forget and use the same tyre all year round and often ride 8 miles on the road to get to the trail. Is the MM on the front overkill and draggy especially in the dry weather?

it’ll be paired with a Rock razor on the back and 29er if that makes a difference

Should I stick with what I know or try the MM?

Ta

P20

It is slower than the HD, but a better all round tyre in my experience. Way better in mud. We do switch back to HD for the summer, but if one tyre all year round I’d stick with the MM

MM Trailstar up front and HD Pacestar out back seems to be working nicely for me – yes, the HD will break free, but it’s quite predictable. The MM has insane grip and just goes where you point it. Don’t worry about having a draggy tyre up front, you won’t notice

jamj1974

MM front HD back both in Snakeskin Trailstar Evo TL Easy. Not too draggy and plenty grippy enough!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I just went from a 2.25 Nobby Nic Performance to a 2.35 Muddy Mary Vertstar Evo TL Snakeskin (the Germans could’ve made that all into one word shirley?) on my heavily built 456.

Hugely different tyres granted. But even on the fairly straight bits on anything other than smooth hard soil the extra grip outweighs any drag penalty giving more directional stability and allowing me to put the hammer down instead of working for grip.

PS. I got the MM Vertstar cheap, I would have had Trailstar out of choice. I think I could actually see the tread wearing away as I rode on tarmac..

fifeandy
    Free Member

Surely if you are riding in conditions where a rock razor is the correct rear then a mary isn’t the correct front.

HD/RR
    Or
    MM/NN
    In my opinion.

davosaurusrex

I’ve been running a MM front since last year, great multi condition tyre. Got a slaughter on the back at the moment. However, on properly dry hardpack I’ve been finding it wandering a bit on the brakes and through trail centre type berms so am going to put a hans dampf back on (assuming it’s dries out by the time I get back from holiday in a week)

chakaping
    Free Member

If you find the HD adequate for year-round use normally but want a change, I’d try something like a Minion instead (DHF or DHR2).

The MM isn’t horrific in Trailstar, but it will be pretty draggy on 8 miles of tarmac.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Found the HD rear to influence dragginess than the MM front. Switched to smorgasbord rear in the “summer” and left the Mary on the front.

cobrakai

MM up front with nobby nic on back on a T130.

I have a 26inch hard tail with continental Street fighters.

My commute to work is about 6miles on tarmac and 5 miles on bridleway.

Very little difference in commuting times between the bikes and no difference in how knackered I am.

For those reasons I’d say it’s not draggy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary – Draggy in the dry?’ is closed to new replies.