Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Magic Mary alternatives
  • oli575
    Free Member

What equivalent tyre do Maxxis, Specialized, Continental etc make?

I have experience on a Minion 2.5 DHF and Spesh Butcher.

Want a little bit ‘more’ for descending.

Any comparisons to a Minion or Butcher would be great to!

Thank you

doug_basqueMTB.com

Mavic Charge?

rocketman
    Free Member

There is no comparison imho everything that’s wrong or niggles with a Minion/butcher is taken care of with a MM

i have a 26″ Supergravityvertstarsnakeskinfolder and it is THE best tyre ever. The only issue is the astronomical wear rate after every ride it looks like its had a once-over with an angle grinder and there is trail debris and small critters stuck in the elaborate tread pattern

Get one you won’t regret it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shredder
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty. WTB Vigilante.

rickon
    Free Member

Depends on what you mean by wanting ‘more’. The Mary is an amazing intermediate tyre, but not great on hardpack.

The minion is much better in those conditions, rocky, hard trails.

The minion works amazeballs in loam and generally sloppy.

It does wear quick.

The only real direct comparison is the Shorty, but that’s narrower, and taller, so much better in mud, but less good on harder surfaces.

oli575
    Free Member

Is the trailstar snakeskin still decent or do I need to go for the vertstar version?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shorty. Done.

deviant
    Free Member

Oli575, the Snakeskin Trailstar is fine, far less wear than an out and out tacky compound but more than good enough to use on the front of the bike. Had one on my HT most of the year so far, only time I’ve taken it off is now its dry at BPW, as others have said a Minion rides better on hardpack trails like those.

Going to the Black Mountain Cycle Centre next week though and it’s dirt there from the videos I’ve seen so the Mary will be going back on.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

When you say you want more, more what?

The MM is a grip monster, it is in a different league to a Minion, which is better than a Butcher IMO. The Minion & Butcher are better on hardpack though. The MM needs something to bite into.

The Shorty may be worth a go, but it doesn’t have the grip of a MM, not even close. I chop and change between them regularly. When it’s muddy thouh, the Shorty wins hands down. It’s smaller, and taller as someone else said and clears the mud a whole lot better than the MM.

The only downside, still to Schwalbe is the laughably crap life of them. 3 days riding in Canada, of which maybe one full day in the bike park, all the side knobs on the MM are cracking, and starting to tear, as are the same on the Rock Razor on the back.

oli575
    Free Member

Hi Hob Nob, I’ve been running a Minion 2.5 DHF in 42a compound and it does everything I need it to at Cannock and in dry conditions. However, it is draggy and last week at FoD on the woods I felt like I needed bigger knobs to dig in to the loamy/muddy conditions.

I accept that it won’t be as good in the harder, drier conditions we may experience this summer.

I picked up a Spesh Carbon Enduro last week and although the Butcher looks very close, is doesn’t offer the same support in fast corners as the Minion. Having said that I think I was arriving at corners faster on the new Enduro!

With tubes (I’ve run Crossmax tubeless all year on the Minion/HR2 combo) the Butcher and Purg combo was a lot more comfortable over the trail.

If I do go for a MM, is a Rock Razor a good shout or will I miss the straight line grip of day a Hans Dampf on the back?

And should I go Pacestar compound for the rear?

Thanks,

Oli

slimporcini
    Free Member

Rock razor or a specialized slaughter. Been running a slaughter with a magic mary up front, has turned out to be a mighty combo! Slightly alarmed at the wear rate of the vertstar compound though, the trailstar mm I’m running in the hardtail has faired a lot better.

oli575
    Free Member

Anyone else? I have ordered a MM in snakeskin just need to decide between a HD and the RR!

Currently running a Maxxis HR2 and it is quite draggy compared to previous Trail King 2.2.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not many miles on the Slaughter yet. Centre tread works very on hard surfaces, the edge nobs bite well into soft stuff just as well as a butcher when you lean it over. If you got steep straight wet mud sections it won’t grip.

It’s not surprising for HRII to roll slower than the HRII has so much more grip.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As much as I like the MM, after 6 days use is struggle to recommend actually buying one. The side knobs are approx 50% torn off, and this is the front tyre…

Certainly makes for some interesting mid corner shapes 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

6 days use is struggle to recommend actually buying one.

6 days riding of what?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mostly the valley XC trails in Whistler, and probably what would be one full day in the park.

My wife’s bike which had a couple of Minions on it, still almost look new by comparison.

The side knobs started cracking on day 2, and it’s gone from bad to worse from there. Amazingly the Rock Razor on the back is in better shape.

Maxxis will be going back on by the end of this week as these were the last 2 Schwalbe’s I had left.

Northwind

I honestly think the Shorty made the Mary irrelevant- does the same job, better, schwalbe got the tread fantastic but Maxxis has the better rubber imo, the difference in confidence on wet rocks and roots and that is pretty big (big enough that I sold a practically new Mary as there was just no point having it any more) YMMV of course.

THe Vigilante seems similiar but I’ve not used it enough yet.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

People have covered the Shorty/MM thing above pretty comprehensively. Shorty is a great tyre for when it gets muddy but the 2.4 HR2 is the best intermediate tyre I’ve ever used. I only switch to the Shorty when it gets really muddy.

I spent the last race weekend on the new Minion SS and that is one seriously good tyre, despite a couple of steep, muddy stages. I could probably run it all winter. No wear I can see on it either, despite squaring off trail centre berms for fun. Rock Razor wear problem sorted…

darrenspink
    Free Member

Mmm, might give a shorty a try when my MM is dead. Really happy with the rock razor on the back though. Its stupendous tyre.

kudos100
    Free Member

the 2.4 HR2 is the best intermediate tyre I’ve ever used

i agree, the 2.4 HR2 is awesome. Glad I got it over the 2.3 version.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

How did you get a Minion semi slick? I was amazed by the Slaughter in the rain it grips wet roots and rocks very well.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty. WTB Vigilante.

Schwalbe really fallen from grace recently…

stevied
    Free Member

I spent the last race weekend on the new Minion SS

Where’d you get that from?

twohats
    Free Member

That Mary up there ^^^ is ripe for a warranty replacement. There was a batch that all did that and are usually replaced with no issue. I had one on the front that did the same after a week in the Alps last year.
    Just back from this years Alp trip and the new Mary on the front looks as good as new.

oli575
    Free Member

Got the MM but wrestled for 3 hours trying to get it to seat and inflate on my Crossmax SX.

Rear HD went on with my pump no problem.

Tried the inner tube tip but as soon as I deflated it both beads unseated and I was at square one again.

Aside from co2, where do I get and schraeder to presta adapter for use with a compressor?

Had to run it with a tube tonight which is only a short term solution.

oli575
    Free Member

Thank you

Northwind

They have a way of wandering off so I got a whole load off ebay

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary alternatives’ is closed to new replies.