Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Magic Mary 29er alternative
  • crispy1980
    Free Member

Hi all, I was after a magic Mary set up after visiting alps this year. Going again next year and wanted to be ready for all eventualities. However, seems very difficult to get hold of them now, that Arney the new attix variety that don’t seem too well received. So, what else us there that will offer same wet grip with decent dry performance?

Northwind

Shorty- bit better in the wet, bit less good in the dry. Or Der Baron, bit less good in the wet, but better in the dry

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

Specialized Hill Billy Grid or Maxxis DHF

daver27
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax charge XL is utterly incredible. By far my favourite tyre and way better in all conditions than a magic Mary in my experience.

nasher
    Free Member

The new spesh hillibilly and butcher in the new 2.6 width and gripton compound are ace…

Northwind

Ooh,are those out now? Quite interested to try those

Pridds

Maxxis Shorty here after magic mary went wierd and bubbly on me. Took it as spare for the alps after the previous years total mudfest.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Yeah, pissed down and morzine / super morzine became slick as. Not sure I’d fit a 2.6 in tbh

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve run a On One chunky monkey for the last couple of years in the alps and uk and found them spot on. Just put the 29er version on my segment as I couldn’t find a Magic Mary for less than what I pay for tyres on the car. Crazy money.

So far so good on gravel, mud and steep off piste loamy sections

mark90
    Free Member

Spesh are too late to the market with the 27.5 hillbilly to get my money. After waiting and hoping they’d bring it out I now have a Shorty and Magic Mary to cover that sort of use.

Northwind

It’s so stupid that, the hillbilly was the first of the new “precut spikes” to the market but only in a dh carcass, it was awesome and showed everyone else what to do, then they sat back and said “job done!”

muggomagic

I heard the 29 x 2.6 hillbilly is not arriving until Feb 2018. Is there somewhere with some stock?

Next day tyres (or whatever it’s called now) have or had stock of the new addix soft 29 x 2.35 Magic Mary when I looked a couple of days ago.

There you go

qwerty
    Free Member

Spesh are too late to the market with the 27.5 hillbilly

Oooh – I hadn’t realised they’d snuck that in. Hoo fu*k’n-ray that took long enough.

27.5 x 2.3 Grid @ 900g

🙂

crispy1980
    Free Member

I was using the chunky monkey this year, found it terrible when it rained. Ground was bone dry and very hard before hand. Once it rained, was slick slimy mud on top. I had zero grip

crispy1980
    Free Member

I seem to have read that the addix aren’t as good as the originals?

SirHC

Had the new Hillbilly 2.3 on the front for a few weeks now. Clears really well in the shropshire/FOD mud. copes with wet roots better than a shorty imo.

oikeith

I have one of the new addix soft Magic Marys in 29 on the front and have had no issues with it. It replaced a Hans Dampf trailstar and I have found it better for grip and rolling resistance. Not sure if just the compound or the tyre differences, I’d assumed the Mary would grip better but roll worse.

Just tried getting a supergravity Mary for the back and they are out of stock and not due in till Mid December, I’m currently running a Butcher Grid on the rear in the old compound and its worn out on the centre knobs in less than 2months!

deano8
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether there’s enough clearance on a standard Pikes?
    Also are my 28mm rims wide enough?

chakaping
    Free Member

Just tried getting a supergravity Mary for the back and they are out of stock and not due in till Mid December,

I’ve put a Vigilante tough/fast on the back. Similar carcass to SG and not a million miles away from a Mary tread-wise. And cheaper.

As for the OP, I’d just get a new Mary.

Northwind

The only negativity I’ve seen about addix is that the names are a wee bit off, the “soft” supposedly isn’t actually all that soft so some folks will want to go up a sticky level. But I’ve not tried any of them so that’s just a common hearsay thing

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Magic Mary 29er alternative’ is closed to new replies.