• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Magic eye for new sky boxes
  • thered

How much should it cost for the whole thing to be sorted including the I/O adapter?

Cougar

Tenner?

My experience of the ‘magic eye’ wasn’t favourable. The signal went to crap whenever it was installed, I got it refunded in the end. If you’ve got a smartphone it’s redundant anyway, you can install the Sky+ app and control the box over wifi.

unovolo
    Free Member

If you already have the associated wiring in for the old style Magic eye then it should just be the cost of the new IO link.

If you never previously had a magic eye then it depends how much cabling will be needed plus the IO link then whether your going to do it yourself or get a professional in.

Unless its a short distance away then personally i wouldnt bother as the picture will be poor in comparison(RF quality is the worst you can get and degrades even more over long cable runs).

Albanach
    Free Member

When we got sky installed in September the installer had to use a ‘service’ box as the new boxes apparently do not have the IR connection in the back to facilitate the magic eye so you might want to check that out. We use a magic eye as the box is located in another room. The ‘service’ box does not have wifi capability but since using the magic eye on the ‘service’ box we have had no issues and no real need to connect the box to the internet, am I
    missing out on anything?

njee20
    Free Member

Do you mean including connecting the two televisions to the Sky box? If so that’s the bit that’ll cost a lot. The actual hardware is £10 or so plus a similar amount for a second remote.

Personally I used the co-axial sockets that were already in place in each room – went in the loft, bypassed the old analogue aerial and joined the relevant cables for living room and bedroom. Works perfectly, far less faff than having to load the app each time. Picture’s more than acceptable on the 21″ TV in the bedroom.

Connected to the RF2 port in the back of the Sky box, which I think all should have, including the newest ones.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yeah I have no issues using mine either. Sky TV in the living room is the main one and then we have the Kitchen and Bedroom spurred off the RF2 socket on the back of sky box. has to be RF2 as that carries the voltage to power up the Magic eye.
    Even with the antiquated coax in my house the picture on SD is exactly what you’d expect and whats better is that HD does appear clearer on the SD TV’s in the Kitchen and Bedroom.

For £30 for the two Magic Eye’s and remotes its way cheaper than Sky Multiroom (albeit having to watch the same channels) Not usually a problem and if there is ever a clash of programmes then I’ll jump onto my PC and watch it on there anyway. (27″ monitor and BT Fibre so stream is always good)

ton

I/o link £25
    magic eye £3.99

op sounds like he has a new sky box with no rf2 output.
    I/o link will enable him to use remote eyes.
    if you are send to a splitter then to more than 1 telly, you will need to power the amp/splitter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Magic eye for new sky boxes’ is closed to new replies.