Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Maggot Brain
  • Stoner
    Free Member

By Funkadelic.

Had the absolutely glorious pleasure of hearing this for the first time ever last night on gideon coe’s show shortly before nighty-night.

What an incredible piece! How did I get to nearly 40 and never hear it before?

Anyway to top it off George Clinton was on R6 on Sunday so it’s on listen again which is what I will be doing tonight.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06chqmb

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I absolutely love that tune. Eddie Hazel at his best. A masterpiece.

lucky7500

Making it to nearly 40 without hearing Maggot Brain certainly is an impressive, although quite understandable, achievement!! By all reports (and having heard much of the recorded and all I can find of the released live recordings) Funkadelic during their early 70’s period were a staggeringly good band. They really ought to be spoken about alongside the Stones / Grateful Dead / Led Zeppelin etc of the same era but somehow seem to have been sidelined a little, possibly because of the more pantomime feel they had in later years.
    Every time I listen to Maggot Brain itself there seems to be something new to hear, which in turn makes the song as a whole even more majestic. I’ve fallen asleep many a time through the hypnotic quality of Alice in my Fantasies & Maggot Brain from the 1971 live album, and that was reputedly recorded the night after the ‘good’ rhythm guitarist and drummer left!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I can’t be doing with guitar solos in general but Maggot Brain’s a ridiculous piece of music on a genuinely brilliant album.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I remember being a student in the early 90s and buying One Nation Under A Groove on CD. I listened to the whole CD, and the last track was a bonus live version of Maggot Brain – I had never heard it before. Me and my very stoned girlfriend at the time just looked at each other and simultaneously said “****” before playing it over and over again.

Love the myth/legend about it – Cinton telling Hazel to play as if his mother was dead, then to play as if he had found she had survived for the 2nd half.

It is an amazing piece of work.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow Stoner, I’m amazed.

Have you ever heard of Take That??

racefaceec90

i haven’t heard it either (am 40) 😳

have heard good things about it i must say 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

No one should ever have heard of Take That. They need to be stricken from the musical record books, and our collective psyche.

I concur: Maggot Brain is genius.

tang
    Free Member

I went to a Primal Scream, Funkadelic/Parliment/Pfunk all nighter at Brixton Academy in the early 90s. What a night, and that is a tune.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Funkadelic – funkadelic is one of my favourite albums. I discovered them in the late 80’s whilst going thru a west coast garage psychedelic phase, it might have been parliament I discovered initially. Free your mind and your ass will follow is also pretty good as is some parliament stuff.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao[/video]
    in case anyone like me was unaware of the tune. It’s ruddy good i must say

/edit my girlfriend, while watching hollyoaks, just asked what I was listening to as it sounded crap and annoying…

DezB
    Free Member

This disturbs me about music. How many pieces of absolute genius are out there that I haven’t heard?? I’m familiar with a lot of Funkadelic/Parliament, but I bet there’s something I don’t know.
    Only a few years back discovered CAN. Amazing, timeless genius.. but… I haven’t heard it all!
    Get onto Can if you haven’t heard them.

ps. obviously in jest, but the Take That comparison is just not relevant – shite like that is forced down everyone’s ear constantly, while the real geniuses (genii?) squander in relative obscurity.

racefaceec90

just listened to it now.

(bleep) me that was epic 😯 😀

bigjim

The R6 interview with him is very good. Amazed he is still alive!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I made the reference to Take That because I think the guys been walking around this planet with ear muffs on.

Geddit ?

Sure you do.

teenrat

37 and i haven’t heard it before either. The Maggot Brain album is tomorrows essential listening at work

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you like Maggot Brain track check out Watermelon in Easter Hay by Frank Zappa as well.

lardy
    Free Member

Not heard Parliament?

Apparently early live parliament were electric. One of the best live performances I’ve seen (recorded) is this…

[video]https://youtu.be/TmmzbVM5BMw[/video]

In the context of the time it is stunning. Oh i hey at the end is so good.

Funky as f@@k.Fuzzy Haskins is ruling all over this.

Maggotbrain not bad too.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers everyone for some good tips to go follow.

Currently playing Zappa’s watermelon.

Nice.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Maggot Brain album is tomorrows essential listening at work

I’d definitely recommend giving Funkadelic – Funkadelic album a listen as well, it’s a sort of Hendrix, Isaac Hayes psychedelic funk classic.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Did you like my cameo at the start stoner 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

centralscrutinizer

LOL

any relation? 🙂

Underhill
    Free Member

Thanks so much for this PSA. 45 & never hear it before. Awesome.

Stoner
    Free Member

In the spirit of a “two part epic” choon I know this is not quite of the same style, but Im in a music listening mood and have just put on:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSuXoc5ZMo[/video]

What music has this thread made you put on?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

More Zappa

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m794e9Z-4aw[/video]
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsP3rHs3oUI[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive never listened to Zappa before. Which I confess is a bit remiss. My Pink Floyd fandom is all Gilmour based so much later. (in an era kinda way)

Its surprisingly listen-able stuff.

As a gift, here’s Martin O’connor playing “The Road West”
    Such an evocative piece about how he was late for a meeting, and the music evokes the road from home to where he was supposed to be half an hour earlier….

I saw him live at a a concert in Newton Stewart earlier this year that my colleague and I had sponsored.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKfNJ_nuYbM[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

PS ^ for clarifcation we didnt sponsor that concert

CountZero

Stoner, there’s a classic Zappa cd with two of his best (possibly) albums on, Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation.
    Contains the likes of Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow, Nanook Rubs It, I’m The SlimeZomby Woof, Dina-Moe-Hum and Montana.
    No home should be without a copy.
    😀
    Love One Nation Under A Groove, got a 12″ single of it, runs across both sides, awesome track. Not so familiar with that much of the Mother Ship’s output, sadly only so much money to spread around so damned much music, live and recorded. Only heard Maggot Brain once before, amazing guitar work.
    Can are much loved by the 6Music collective, too.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Was 32 when I first copped it. It is that epic you remember the year. Always mellows me out rightly and promptly

Same goes for Can. ‘Future Days’ was my intro to those inimitable troubadours, closely followed by Tago Mago. I notice current bands such as The Horrors and Toy are lifting heavily from Can’s catalog in recent years, yet the ‘thing’ that made Can, er, Can just isn’t there. It sounds like self-conscious, dour, late-teen posturing. Albeit with a motorik beat. Whereas Can is OUT there, wildly experimental, playful and uplifting,

Zappa? I just need me that ‘Willie The Pimp’ off Hot Rats.

Other notable ‘where have my ears been?’ artists/albums have chanced upon include::

‘Vision Creation Newsun’ – Boredoms. (This made my heart swell up like bursting)
    Cornelius
    ‘Narcotic Guitar’ – Hanadensha
    Cardiacs
    Magma (Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie)
    Amon Duul
    Gas (Wolfgang Voigt)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

PS. OP:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/

Check the Man’s ‘Maggot Brain’ review, you’ll trust him from there-on out.

DezB
    Free Member

Like it Malvern Rider 🙂

Never heard anything by Zappa that’s moved me though. Too noodly, too jazzy, too novelty for my ears.
    Ah, but then there’s Beefheart …

But, hold on… I’ve got a lifetime’s worth of NEW music to discover too!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Never heard anything by Zappa that’s moved me though. Too noodly, too jazzy, too novelty for my ears.
    Ah, but then there’s Beefheart …

But, hold on… I’ve got a lifetime’s worth of NEW music to discover too!

Yeah Zappa’s stuff is novelty for me too, but the Willie The Pimp groove/solo is superlative nonetheless IMO, and who’s that giving it that vocal grit? – Beefheart! HIGHFIVES! After saw him delivering Upon The My Oh My on the Old Grey Whistle Test re-runs I was highly amused, then I heard this:

[video]http://youtu.be/XJ2kSmbxEUw[/video]

And was truly smittenated.

All music is new music to me if I aint’nt clapped ears on it before 😀

iolo
    Free Member

I just heard it for the first time on this thread and can confirm I won’t ever be listening to it again. What a load of (insert swear word here).

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Bragging rights ; I was in the the studio doing a Remix with skip McDonald (on u sound/sugar hill gang/wood brass & steel) on his Little Axe project when Bernie Worrell walked in ! They then both proceeded to jam & sing together needless to say I was **** speechless.

Anecdote for P Funk fans, Skip McDonald told me that Bootsy Clinton etc used to get 40 oz glass jars & fill them with every substance & drink they could muster at the time mix it all up & down in one !!!

DezB
    Free Member

That Julian Cope site is frightening! So much undiscovered stuff! 😯

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Just listened to ‘Vision Creation Newsun’ by Boredoms. Excellent stuff, there’s a hint of Gong and Hawkwind in there as well, which is nice 8)

scaredypants

It’s not that I haven’t heard it before, but I don’t like maggot brain 🙁

I’ve a lot of time for funkadelic/parliament etc but that’s just clever and not a great listen IMO

Mind, I do like a bit of Can

… (and that boredoms track too)

samunkim
    Free Member

I tried to tell ya 6 months ago

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-some-jazz-funk

Funkadelic – Maggot Brain

For the win !!!

samunkim
    Free Member

Another I’m forty and why I haven’t heard it

Peter Green reliving a “bad trip” to music

or listen to a “clean” studio version if you can’t get “it” from this live version…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Maggot Brain’ is closed to new replies.