Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Magellan GPS – Alternative to Garmin?
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

Found this on a promotional website (http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/magellan-gps).

Anyone have any experience using one these?

Looking to get one for MTB, road cycling and skiing, but want to make sure I get the right one (they ain’t cheap….)

I’ll mainly be using to record the usual stuff, but also want a map clear enough that I can follow pre-loaded routes.

jota180
    Free Member

Can’t see anything from that link, it looks like you have to sign up

for that reason ………. I’m out 🙂

Conan257
    Free Member

The last ) is part of the link, stopping it working…

zilog6128

They look a bit more rugged than your average GPS unit so possibly good for MTB & skiing if you’re always falling over. That said, they seem a lot more expensive than e.g. a Garmin unit. I googled them quickly and straight away saw a few negative reviews criticising the software. Also the fact that they are being touted on SP as “the original GPS brand” concerns me slightly, as if they are trying to sell them off the back of the (well deserved) reputation that Magellan had many years ago…

druidh
    Free Member

They’re fine. Reasonably popular on the other side of the pond though not as well known/supported as Garmin. The one with the 1:50k package would be perfect for what you want.

As a general point, the screens are all pretty small so you’d still want to carry a paper map to get a better “overview” of the terrain should you come off/decide to go off route (and for backup – obviously).

legend
    Free Member

Reported

zilog6128

Someone always does that on SP threads! Is it because they’re a members only site and that breaks the rules here on STW? Has anyone actually bought (and received) anything from SP? They seem quite popular so I assume it’s not a scam!!

druidh
    Free Member

It’s against the rules to provide a link with the posters referral code in it.

I’ve had a few bits from SP over the past 12 months or so. Their sales model is “different” but I’ve never had an issue with them. When they started off, they’d have a new pop-up sale every couple of weeks. Now they have 15-20 on at any one time. I’d say they’ve managed to carve out a wee niche for themselves.

jota180
    Free Member

The last ) is part of the link, stopping it working…

still just goes to a login screen with that removed

druidh
    Free Member

You have to register to see the offers.

legend
    Free Member

zilog6128 –
    Someone always does that on SP threads! Is it because they’re a members only site and that breaks the rules here on STW? Has anyone actually bought (and received) anything from SP? They seem quite popular so I assume it’s not a scam!!

Post not actually reported, so you can untwist your knickers now 😉

I’ve ordered a few things now, can’t fault them so far.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments.

I don’t think i’ve got referral code, i just copied the URL on the top of the screen! Sorry if i broke any rules 😕

I think i’m going to stick main stream with the garmin, hopefully pick one up second hand.

Happy riding

zilog6128

It’s against the rules to provide a link with the posters referral code in it.

The link in the OP doesn’t have a referral code in it though AFAIK, just a (broken) link to the website?

I’ve had a few bits from SP over the past 12 months or so. Their sales model is “different” but I’ve never had an issue with them. When they started off, they’d have a new pop-up sale every couple of weeks. Now they have 15-20 on at any one time. I’d say they’ve managed to carve out a wee niche for themselves.

OK cool, they have some cheap facemasks on right now, reckon I’ll try them out with that. You’re right about the volume of sales, they have loads on now versus just a few when I first signed up. Plenty of decent brands as well and at very good prices (Merrell shoes, HH base layers). Almost pulled the trigger loads of times but then caught myself by thinking, do I really need it!

druidh
    Free Member

The one thing NOT to expect is instant delivery. I think they wait until the sale ends, then get a hold of the stock, then send it out. There’s normally some sort of estimated delivery date on the page when you order it.

zilog6128

That’s fine, as you say they have a different sales model – they would have to in order to make money at those prices I think.

large418
    Free Member

I had a Magellan 500 – the unit itself was OK, but the mapsend spftware was shockingly sh…t. Difficult to use, no support, not compatible with other mapping software, routes hard to create. Ok if you’re an IT person, but crap if you’re not.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks large. I am in no way an IT person (evidenced by my shocking link attempt above).

I’ll hit the classifieds with a request.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Magellan GPS – Alternative to Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.