• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by cp.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Magazine Advertising – Photography
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I know there’s a few pro photographers in here so I thought I’d throw this out there…

I do a bit of wedding photography. Just a few a year at the moment, but I wouldn’t mind increasing the frequency a little bit. I’m featured in a magazine next month (Your Yorkshire Wedding magazine) and, unsurprisingly, their advertising chap has been badgering me to put an advert in there too.

Have any of you advertised in a magazine like this? Is it a worthwhile expenditure? I don’t mind laying out the pennies if I’m likely to see a return on it. Is it even worth doing just for one issue?

MrSmith
    Free Member

not the area i operate in (B2B not B2C) but i would imagine the page rates are quite steep and a half or full page is the minimum for any impact. why not wait and see if there is an increase in enquires after the feature?

flyingmonkeycorps

Seems sensible. Does seem a little bit daft paying for coverage when I’m already in there.

I should also sort out my website / SEO, but that’s another story.

MrSmith
    Free Member

should also sort out my website

I’m getting the spinning circle of eternity…. ❓

goldfish24

My other half makes reasonably priced art/craft prints (so rather impulse purchase able unlike you), and whenever featured in a magazine has had a flood of sales on her website – but she’s always made sure they print a link.
    Will the feature provide contact details for you?

Also, look at it this way. If people see your ad, and they’ve just read your feature, they’re more likely to read the ad and they’ve now had a chance to think about who that featured photog was a second time, and see they’re offering real services. In other words, an ad will maximise the potential impact of the feature.

flyingmonkeycorps

On my site? Hm, seems to be working here. Odd.

It’s a bit rubbish anyway.

*edit* Yup, the feature does include contact details, but I imagine they’ll be pretty small…

MrSmith
    Free Member

spend the money on getting the site sorted before publication date.
    otherwise any leads generated are wasted
    (wasn’t working on safari or firefox osx-mavericks)

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers for that. Must be something in the code at a guess, works on everything here but that’s not much help.

user-removed
    Free Member

The key thing with print ads is consistency – you have to be in there every publication, or at least every other. It’s a slow burn tactic and you’re unlikely to see much action after just one advert.

And there’s not much to be gained from having a small box – if you’re going to do it, make a splash with a decent sized ad.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I’d tend to think the same (certainly in my day job!) but I’m not quite so sure with weddings, I can imagine it being the kind of thing you just pick up once at a wedding fayre. Then again, knowing brides…

Either way, website definitely needs sorting first.

cp

, I can imagine it being the kind of thing you just pick up once at a wedding fayre

It really really isn’t, it’s all or nothing – the bride either doesn’t go near those mags or she buys/picks every one for months/years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Magazine Advertising – Photography’ is closed to new replies.