Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Madison softshells – anyone got one?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thinking of winter jackets, but living in the soft south would rather get something a little thinner and better breathing than a full shell.

The Madison Flux, Addict and Zenith (hooded) look to have some genuinely useful features – just wondered if anyone out there has any real world experience.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

know a few owners of both. both fantastic pieces of kit. the addict is a more full on winter jacket, the flux you can wear all year.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yes, very good kit – would recommend.

cinnamon_girl

No experience of their softshell but have been impressed by their quality of their baggies.

A year ago I bought a pair of reduced Bionicon softshell shorts, think they came from Germany. Again good quality and would definitely buy more of their products if they’re still available. May do a search for them.

Edit: just checked and it was 2 years ago.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve got a softshell of theirs and I love it, looks so good I decided to use it for casual rather than cycling use. Only small issue I had was the cuff velcro coming away from the rubber strap but I used some contact adhesive on it and it’s been fine since. Not sure if mine was a one off as the rest of the jacket has been superb, I wear it all the time.

Just bought an Addict jacket for cycling and ordered some of the Addict trousers too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Madison kit is as good as a throng else out there and better than most. I’d wear any of it. I’ve got jacket, baggies and bib tights. All fantastic

iainc

tried a flux in the LBS the other day and it’s on my Christmas list. I do however have an Endura Windchill, which I absolutely love, and they do much the same thing (although the Endura isn’t waterproof beyond a light shower).

Also have an Endura Stealth jacket for winter proper, so again, bit of overlap with that….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Also have an Endura Stealth jacket for winter proper, so again, bit of overlap with that…

I have a couple of softshells already if I’m brutally honest, but at least one of them is a bit too heavy for cycling in anything other than minus temps and another’s too nice for riding in. 🙂

Reason for asking is the winter shell doesn’t breath brilliantly (and if I’m going to get wet I’d rather it was from rain that from steaming up inside – just as long as I’m sheltered from the wind) so I figure it’s time to retire it, plus it has a hood which actually has been really useful. I figure a good, medium weight softshell with a hood will actually cover most bases, and the Madison kit isn’t so expensive that I’ll cry if I rip it.

sirromj

Not cold enough down South for the Addict jacket, only wear it in heavy rain, usually with vents open and zip fully undone and still too hot.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not cold enough down South for the Addict jacket, only wear it in heavy rain, usually with vents open and zip fully undone and still too hot.

😆

To be honest that’s one of the reasons I’m asking!

ahsat

Checking in as I had a similar thread last night about the Womens Flo softshell, but didnt get many responses.

failedengineer

Don’t some of those Madison prices seem a bit salty for no-name membranes?

benp1

This isn’t much use, as they’ve stopped making them, but I bought a DHB Moxie. It’s a softshell but at the more autumn than winter end of the scale. It’s been brilliant, mine has sleeves that are a bit short on me (bought a Medium and I’m 6’3), and the length is a little short off the bike too. Despite this I wear it regularly

But it’s been ace. 4 pockets with zips (2 hand, one napoleon and one rear), reflective bits on the sleeves and the back, hood, subtle branding, light water resistance, medium windproof, very stretchy. Don’t know why they stopped making them. If I could find another version by Madison, as they seem great, I’d buy one. The DHB one was a bargain though

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Don’t some of those Madison prices seem a bit salty for no-name membranes?

Depends. If the numbers are accurate, they represent good VFM. To use something like Gore Windstopper (as an example) you’ll have to pay Gore for the privilege. While this is close to a guarantee of getting a good product there’s an obvious increase in price at every point in the supply chain to cater for it.

One of the reasons for this thread is to see how the own-name / no-name fabrics stack up. If I’m paying 100 notes for a softshell I certainly expect it to work, and if it works as well as a similar ‘name’ fabric that comes in a jacket that’s twice the price then that’s a significant bonus.

The fact the jackets are well designed and have thoughtful touches is also attractive. The only thing that would tempt me away is if a competitor did something that ticked similar boxes and worked as well but with strong environmental credentials, which I would pay extra for.

Matt Wragg puts it well here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/madison-addict-3-layer-storm-jacket-reviewed-2014.html

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

Patagonia Windshield jacket sounds like just what you need, but they cost about £90.

iainc

other point worth bearing in mind is that all these products are tested by the journo’s fresh from the box. In the real world, how they perform after 20 or 30 washing machine cycles is more important….

sillyoldman

You think they don’t try them more than once?

siloseven
    Free Member

another vote for the addict jacket – I really like mine and it does actually seem to be waterproof, unlike a lot of other kit Ive got that just claims to be

sirromj

I probably should have mentioned I don’t have the softshell Addict jacket, but the Storm version (like in the PB review above). I did get it in view of using it for the colder/wetter weather, but wasn’t expecting it to be quite so warm. The sleeves are quite close fitting as are the wrists so very little air flow up there. Hopefully weather will turn colder soon.

Simon

I’ve got a Zenith hoodless jacket. Tough material and well put together but far too hot unless it’s near zero or you’re pootling. And the cuffs are too tight to push the sleeves up.

iainc

sillyoldman – Member
    You think they don’t try them more than once?

They are used a few times by a few test riders, rarely long term, rarely washed. The long term tests in some mags are obviously different.

iainc

just pressed the button on a Flux Superlight Softshell from Evans. No one local has them in stock, so at least can try and return locally if poor fit etc.

Looks like an ideal compromise, we’ll see….

iainc

also just got a £20 Evans voucher for a purchase over £100, as part of their Christmas ‘spend and save’ deal 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

also just got a £20 Evans voucher for a purchase over £100, as part of their Christmas ‘spend and save’ deal

Worth knowing. Any chance you could let me know initial thoughts @iainc?

iainc

^^^ sure, will post up. I don’t think I’ll have it till next week as it’s coming to work address.

hounslow
    Free Member

To throw in my 2 cents, I have a Zenith (without hood) and a few seams are coming apart. It is a month old, so i have contacted evans to return it for a replacement. Otherwise, fit, function and build quality are good.

iainc

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member
    also just got a £20 Evans voucher for a purchase over £100, as part of their Christmas ‘spend and save’ deal
    Worth knowing. Any chance you could let me know initial thoughts @iainc?

Well the Flux Superlight Softshell arrived today and it looks and feels mighty fine indeed. True fit, not road tight but not flappy, arms quite long but not too long when on bike. Light and well made – will test in rain at weekend 😀

nickc

iainc what size did you go for in the end?

iainc

^^^ went for Large, which I’d say is same as Endura large and a good bit roomier than road L.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Great, cheers IainC!

I’ve been a bit pre-emptive and prematurely pushed the button. 😳 Got a red M coming, which I hope is fairly orange.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Orange in quite a red way actually. More red than I expected.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Isn’t it always the way? 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Madison softshells – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.