Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Madiera riding
  • fergal
    Free Member

Anyone ridden, been on holiday here, not sure i’m into looking at flowers just yet, but the riding does look amazing.

simon1975

I was there for xmas and can confirm that the flowers are beautiful – I bet they’ll be fantastic in the spring…

We didn’t take bikes. I bet there’s some superb mountain-biking but I wouldn’t know where to look. There were a couple of bike shops / hire companies in Funchal, though, and we saw a group ride setting off from town. Most of the walking trails we used wouldn’t be suitable for riding, but there must be loads up in the mountains. The levada paths are too narrow / exposed, but some of the coastal stuff would be great if riding is tolerated.

Road biking could be nasty due to all the tunnels – some are very long and dimly lit.

Check the temperatures, too.

cakefest
    Free Member

saw this the other day…looks great. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Video-Freeride-Madeira-Ridgetrail-Helmet-Cam-2014.html

was out in Funchal in April last year. great place to visit and stay, especially the old town. stunning seafront hotel, Pestana Promenade. easy going people, great weather, good food. winter sun!!

russellmilne
    Free Member

The riding is amazing. Some of the best I’ve experienced. I’d suggest a guide though, as there are 1000s of km of levada paths. We went on a couple trips with a company called LokoLoko — couldn’t fault them.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, theres another thread running with quite a few comments on, the threads valid.. maybe pop over there eh..

variflex
    Free Member

Ive got family there and was over for xmas. I wish I had taken a bike as all the hire options were fully booked. Not ridden there yet but from the few websites and videos Ive seen it looks pretty good and steep. Would definitely need a guide, and looks like there is a growing enduro scene.

I am also amazed there arent more pro level teams doing their winter road training there as its alp like climbs but in 20 degrees pretty much all winter.

Doesnt help that easyjet and their pants weight limit is one of the few ways of getting there from the UK since they bought GB Air. Hopefully that will change in the coming months.

dekadanse
    Free Member

We were there in October and we had a day with Joe from Bikulture – http://www.bikulture.com.

Totally awesome riding!

Just do it!!

Fat-boy-fat

Cracking riding. As mentioned above, probably best to hire a guide as you’ll miss a lot of the best stuff. I had a day out with the guys from Freeride Madeira … absolutely fantastic. Took me down from the highest accessible mountain on the island to the sea over 50 km.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Madiera riding’ is closed to new replies.