Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 352 total)
  • machete attack in woolwich london (bbc news atm)
  • quartz
    Free Member

do you really have to ask?

Not really. I’d just like soobalias to justify their statement.

I expect he means anyone that’s looks like they may appear to be a muslim. There’s a fair chance of some equally deranged white supremacist nut job going out looking for revenge.

If that is the case, then should the police and appropriate agencies not be mobilised to help protect people within our nation, from hate crime?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Haven’t “certain groups” been threatening to do this for some time? Very sad that such nut jobs live freely in this country, and most probably fully supported by “the system” too.

mrmo
    Free Member

One of the most ignorant things you could have said, there’s laws against inciting a riot you fool.

depends on the posters meaning, it could be that, or it could be a simple statement that there are people in this country who would use an incident like this to go ‘packi bashing’ and that rightly or wrongly there are times when keeping you head down makes sense.

hora
    Free Member

Ultimately there will be one loser. Muslims. Really sad that a whacky minority will alienate and if these attacks become more frequent worse for the good people who believe in Islam.

R.I.P.

quartz
    Free Member

rightly or wrongly there are times when keeping you head down makes sense.

So, all brown people should stay indoors then? Because there may be a few nutters out there intent on causing harm?

Maybe we should discharge all military personnel from service immediately then, following that logic. As they are all obviously at risk.

Ultimately there will be one loser. Muslims. Really sad that a whacky minority will alienate and if these attacks become more frequent worse for the good people who believe in Islam.

I think it’s wrong to label the attacks as by ‘Islamists’, as is being reported on the news from Whitehall. This itself is inflamatory and sure to ignite fear and hatred.

yossarian
    Free Member

Well said Hora

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh shit. I look a bit swarthy. And I’ve got a beard. Best cancel the pub tonight then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well said Hora from me too.

yunki
    Free Member

What evidence is there to even suggest that the attackers were muslim..?

The bloke on the ITV clip gives no indication that the attack was a terrorist act or anything to do with religion..
    He bangs on about violence in his home country a bit, but the way he speaks, sounding more like a south London hoodie than anything else, the motivation could be anything from a drug debt, to a drunken argument or because someone knocked his underaged sister up..

Sloppy and inflammatory reporting as usual unless I’m missing some crucial point here..

a brutal day for sure though.. thoughts go out to all the families

graphic video content

samuri
    Free Member

Hora is very much on the money there.

soobalias
    Free Member

who:
    anyone who could be perceived as a victim, (thugs prey on the weak) anyone with brown skin (i know thats wide, so are racial prejudices), anyone who would stand by the comment ‘allah akbar’ basically anyone who can be linked to the widely reported status of the attackers

why:
    because this horrific event will just ratchet up the tension which already exists widely across the country and nobody will be surprised to hear of ‘revenge’ attacks taking place

to try to be clear, im not telling anyone to stay indoors. Just like i wont think twice about wearing my help for heroes t-shirt…

mrmo
    Free Member

So, all brown people should stay indoors then?

imo no, but to tweak the question, are there areas of the town in which you live that have a reputation? would you go out of your way to go there just because you are allowed to? As i said there is a proportion of the population looking for trouble, there always is. I can remember someone i worked with saying that in the 70’s they would go out for a night in Glasgow and anyone who they considered a Celtic supporter was fair game. In his words he then joined the Paras because you could legally beat the crap out of someone.

wrecker
    Free Member

Many reports of the attackers shouting Allah Akbar.

soobalias
    Free Member

very well put hora,

much better than i managed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Fair comment yunki, but I’ve a feeling you’ll be proved wrong.

quartz
    Free Member

to try to be clear, im not telling anyone to stay indoors.

Forgive my obvious confusion, then.

a very large minority in this country would be well advised to get and keep off the streets tonight.

?

Drac

Can we stop the silly bickering please.

soobalias
    Free Member

Maybe we should discharge all military personnel from service immediately then, following that logic. As they are all obviously at risk

or just remind themselves of the risks and avoid any unnecessary ones.

Nobby

project – Member
    Lots of similar stuff has happened before, machete attacks, people being deliberately targeted, persons being shot on the street by the police, sometimes as innocents.

Massive overhyping by the.

Firstly, please give examples of public beheadings of military (or any other) persons in the UK with deliberate focus on “sending a message”.

Secondly, having just left a couple of people who live in the tower block you will have seen on the TV, I’d suggest you are wrong with this ‘over hyping’ – it took over 20 minutes for armed police to turn up so the perpetrators spent some considerable time finishing their work.

soobalias
    Free Member

well advised
    must

different see.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Now Nigel Farage is calling for calm…

CountZero

I expect he means anyone that’s looks like they may appear to be a muslim.

There’s the problem; what does a Muslim look like? The accepted image is a swarthy bloke with fairly short hair and a huge beard. Trouble is, we’re talking about a religion, not a genetic trait, so a Muslim can be any race or colour, and obviously you can have Muslims who aren’t so strict without the beard, etc, and Arab-looking individuals who aren’t Muslim.
    I believe part of the reasoning for this attack is to stir up such conflict*, which can then be used as an excuse for further attacks on non-believers, because of attacks on innocent Muslims.
    It all becomes horribly circular.
    *based on the sort of twisted thinking that some people use to justify such horrifying acts as this.

Northwind

It is very sad, and the circumstances are horrendous but it’s not likely to have been the only murder in the UK today.

OTOH that twitter account is fantastic.

Drac – Moderator

Can we stop the silly bickering please.

Evidence suggests not.

chewkw
    Free Member

The murderers should be punished according to Vald III Dracula rules …

mashiehood
    Free Member

The video is truly shocking, I’m a Muslim and genuinely ashamed of this individuals action. He absolutely does not represent Islam in any form.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Firstly, please give examples of public beheadings of military (or any other) persons in the UK with deliberate focus on “sending a message”.

PC Keith Blakelock, Broadwater Farm riots.

Or a bloody close effort.

Rosss
    Free Member

Whilst I agree with Hora’s and other’s views I think the biggest loosers are the victim’s family and friends tonight. I think it’s about time we stop arguing when facts aren’t clear and respect the poor chap.

If you feel the need to discuss the matter do it tomorrow when the details are clearer.

RIP

quartz
    Free Member

Just heard a news reporter on the radio say ‘Aloo Akbar’. Sounds like a tasty potato dish down the local Indian takeaway place.

IanW
    Free Member

Not exactly the typical image of a Muslim or for that matter recent immigrants. The guy apologises for women seeing his actions but says women in his own land have to see such acts. All in a south london accent.

One mixed up boy, I can’t help wondering if it will turn out there’s someone been whispering in his ear . S,pose its all part of the journey but not easy for a lot of people to accept.

singletrackmind

20 mins for an ARV to arrive is about right . I am going to guess the 999 police line was flooded with multiple similtaneous calls about a knife and gun attack.
    Any SO will not send out GP to deal with this sort of incident.

Horrendous attack . I saw some stomach churning stuff in Woking on 7/7 and kept my cool but seeing religous fanatics celebrating this sort of incident makes me angry.

oldnpastit

My son goes to cadets (except when he’s revising for AS exams) and we always used to think they were being a bit excessive insisting that he’s not allowed to wear any kind of identifiying military kit when travelling to/from cadet events on public transport. Seems not. EDIT: just walking out of barracks is enough.

Very sad and my thoughts go to the family of this young man, probably not much older than my own boy 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mashiehood, well put, very well put.

project
    Free Member

it took over 20 minutes for armed police to turn up so the perpetrators spent some considerable time finishing their work.

serious questions must be asked of hogan howe, police commisioner, on why such a delay, when so much money is wasted each day on armed guards for politicians, the royal family and Julian assange, when the public who pay his wages are left to the mercy of 2 nutters with sharp knives.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The means may be more gruesome (if you consider being blown apart by a bomb any less gruesome) but is it any different to what the IRA used to do?

wrecker
    Free Member

Reports that the EDL are going to be in woolwich tonight. 🙄

vanilla83
    Free Member

The EDL have just said that they are going to “make their presence felt” in the area tonight. Idiots.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

IIRC armed forces (assume this includes cadets) were required not to wear uniforms when the IRA were active back in the late 70s for fear of them being targeted.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Edited due to others posting the same thing within a minute of me.

anagallis_arvensis

Indeed project and the shocking thing is that there appeared to be no police even near by keeping the public away, suprised no people took actions themselves.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Invariably, the IRA’s aim was to induce terror by fear, not by actual death. Hence the “coded warnings” etc. It was more about terrorising by fear in many cases. Yes, there were myriad deaths and killings, but for the most part, the motivation was to scare the crap out of the “opposition”. I grew up checking the car for bombs before any journey, etc. One could say that the tactic of fear worked, up to a point. Never stopped me, or my family, from carrying on our normal life, however.

Equally, the IRA would not want to be seen to do it. Being photographed would shatter the illusion of terror.

There is a new genre of terrorist, driven by getting themselves in the media, focussed on generating online terror. Far more scary, far more deadly. Far harder to deal with.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 352 total)

The topic ‘machete attack in woolwich london (bbc news atm)’ is closed to new replies.