• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IWH.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Macbook Warranty arrghhh
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Around 6-7 months ago the corner of my macbook screen went a “a bit funny”, only in a small section and I wasn’t that bothered as you could only see it at a certain angle. Around two weeks ago a line apeared right in the middle of the screen form top to bottom, very annoying. With two weeks of warranty left I thought I better get it sorted.

Basicallyt they have inspected the screen, and have determined that the problem in the corner was determined by water damage, and that because water has touched this component (the screen) then warranty is invalid, so I have to fork out for a new screen (£300)even though it is clear that the main problem with the screen is not related to the water damaged part.

Feel very agreaved, is there anything I can do?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

house insurance

you invalidated the screen warranty by allowing the ingress of water. If enough water got in to damage the corner, it could well have got to the minuscule connections that would cause a static line failure like that.

IWH
    Free Member

I’m with mrmichaelwright on this. If any water got into the computer then you’re not taking a reasonable level of care (as far as any warranty department would be concerned) and invalidate your warranty.

Household insurance should sort you right out though, this kind of thing will be covered under accidental damage.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

THanks guys. Do you think they will repair the laptop or replace it (under insurance)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

depends on age/original value and the insurance co.

if they replace it you should be able to buy the other one back for about £80

IWH
    Free Member

I’ve always just been sent vouchers for replacement. They’ve never actually taken the old computer off me but it will depend on insurance Co. and your cover as MMW says 🙂

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I did claim once on a sigital camera, and I was able to keep the old one.

I will get a claim in then, thanks for your help.

stufield
    Free Member

i was with more than and they took my old macbook pro away from me when my 2 yr old decided to squirt a bottle of jif into the keyboard, they gave me back the harddrive though

MrNutt
    Free Member

they took away my old mbp when it fell down the stairs

IWH
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member

they took away my old mbp when it fell down the stairs

Because you were guilty of neglecting your Mac! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Macbook Warranty arrghhh’ is closed to new replies.