Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Macbook to Denon hi-fi wireless
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What is the best gadget for this? The hifi is 20 years old so it only has aux in and no usb or other modern connectivity.

Thanks.

geoffj

Bluetooth to auxin adapter

MrSmith
    Free Member

Airport express

mikey74
    Free Member

how do you connect the AP Express to the stereo? Via a standard stereo RCA cable?

Sandwich

3.5mm stereo jack to RCA twin cable will do the job.

peteimpreza

Airport express.

As I am doing with my setup right this minute.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’ve looked into this having dug out my Exposure Super XX and B&W 602s

THere is a fancy bluetooth version apx or something like that.

Denon plus a few others do proprietary wireless setups with USB.

I gave up pissing about with it, and currently have my satellte tuner outputting via anologue to the amp, to play mp3.

I’ve considered using the optical out and a FiLO DAC

Lots of different Bluetooth Dacs but if your macbook doesn’t meet the fancy standard you get losses.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Airport Express.

hammyuk
    Free Member

With Mac – Airport express.
    It works without fault everytime where bluetooth has a habit of dropping out, etc.
    PLUS – its a wifi extender too 😉
    Don’t forget the usb on it for printer/hardrive

M6TTF
    Free Member

Upgrade amp you can get a denon with built in wifi and AirPlay for a few hundred quid 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

why would I want to upgrade my amp for a few hundred pounds when I can get an Airport Express for £70?

mav12
    Free Member

i have the same setup. denon amp mac mini and airport express works perfect ive upgraded to an apple tv so airport express is for sale if interested

slowoldman

Airport Express. Again.

mikey74
    Free Member

Mav: any chance you could email me some details, including price? Email is mike@skylinecad.plus.com

Which version is it?

mav12
    Free Member

email sent mike

ourmaninthenorth

+several for Airport Express.

I’m going to buy another for the old amp and speakers in the garage. And another for the bedroom.

Super easy to set up.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, so a bit of an update: I’ve decided to use my old laptop (Windows) as the main music player (sourcing from the NAS). At the moment I am still using a stereo RCA cable, plugged into the headphone socket of the laptop, but the socket is starting to go, resulting in some unwanted noise, so I am looking for a wireless alternative.

The laptop only has wi-fi, so no Bluetooth option.

Any suggestions for a wi-fi adaptor?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Fairly sure that Airport Express is still the answer. You’d obviously need to use iTunes as the media player on the laptop, though.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As I understand it, the laptop has wifi; it needs an interface for plugging the audio signal into the amplifier.

ratherbeintobago

We’ve got a Belkin bluetooth thing that connects via RCA/Aux cable. However, airport express would be better; I have ambitions to buy an AirPlay compatible hifi when this one breaks.

mikey74
    Free Member

Three fish: Really? Why? iTunes is a deal breaker.

Yes, the laptop has wi-fi, but no Bluetooth.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Three fish: Really? Why? iTunes is a deal breaker.

I think that the Airport Express, being Apple, needs iTunes for Airplay, which is how it uses the Airport as an audio interface. iTunes for Windows has an appropriate version of Airplay added to it. Have a web search, but I strongly suspect you’ll be tied to iTunes. Is it a problem? iTunes will play anything you have stored separately on hard-drives, it’s not just downloaded/purchased stuff.

If it’s anything of a bonus, the Airport is also an excellent wifi router, so plugging an Ethernet cable from your home internet router will also extend your wifi network.

Cougar

I strongly suspect you’ll be tied to iTunes. Is it a problem?

It would be for me, I’m sure on a Mac it’s written by angels or something, but the Windows incarnation is a hateful piece of software.

mikey74
    Free Member

strongly suspect you’ll be tied to iTunes. Is it a problem? i

Yes, it is a problem and, as I said, a deal breaker.

slowoldman

There is a mac application from Rogue Amoeba called Airplay which enables you to play audio from any source on the mac to Airport (not just iTunes). It works well.

Not much use on a Windows machine, but I would imagine there is a Windows equivalent of an Airport Express. You just need a wi-fi receiver with a DAC to convert the digital audio to analogue to shove into the back f the amp. I’ve no idea what it is though.

ratherbeintobago

Would some sort of DNLA receiver work?

jamj1974

ngels or something, but the Windows incarnation is a hateful piece of software.

No, it’s hateful on OSX too.

slowoldman

I’ve never understood the hatred towards iTunes (certainly on mac). Mine has always worked perfectly well though admittedly it has his quaint idiosyncrasies – like pretty much any piece of software really.

Cougar

You seem to have typoed “insanities” there.

slowoldman

Still works OK for me. Maybe I’m insane too.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It would be for me, I’m sure on a Mac it’s written by angels or something, but the Windows incarnation is a hateful piece of software.

I always found it perfectly simple to use on OSX and Windows (Vista and 7). Perhaps you could ask somebody for assistance.

Cougar

Har har.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Buy Airplay for the PC, works a charm. Farly sure it also supports DLNA

hypnotoad
    Free Member

+1 Airport Express

mikey74
    Free Member

Once again: I am not using iTunes, so if the Airport express requires that then it is a definite no for me.

marmaduke
    Free Member

Like people said, if you get the airport express then you can route all Windows audio to it using Airfoil which costs about £17

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn’t see that you were not using iTunes as it wasn’t mentioned in the first post.

You may be able to get some sort of bluetooth adaptor but the sound quality will not be as good and the range is less also.

Soundflower may allow some funky routing, but as said about, AirFoil will allow you to stream anything, without having to use iTunes, using an Airport express:

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

EDIT:

In fact you may be able to do it without airfoil:

http://www.brettt.com/post/45998124306/apple-airplay-for-airport-express-without-itunes

marmaduke
    Free Member

He’s using Windows

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Airport Express does not need iTunes. You select it as an audio output device from ‘Sounds’. Works perfectly fine with Spotify, Safari, DVD player or anything else for that matter.

So, +1 for Airport Express (NO iTunes needed!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Macbook to Denon hi-fi wireless’ is closed to new replies.