Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • macbook problems.. airport unstable 'til it 'warms up'
  • bob_summers

trying to figure out what’s wrong with my gf’s mac, but i know nothing about them, maybe someone here does.

when i turn the mac on, connect to wifi, open a browser, webpages don’t load until i click the airport icon in the system tray, so it refreshes the networks. for the first five minutes or so, i have to click the airport each time i want a page to load, otherwise they time out. after that, no probs at all.

there’s nothing suspicious in the dmesg output, it doesn’t happen if i turn off security, or to any other computer or phone i’ve tried on the network.
    it’s not dropping the connection as far as i can see.

it’s a macbook 4.1 Intel, OSX10.5.8. router is cisco cable modem EPC2325. WPA2-PSK.

‘snot the end of the world, but it’s bugging me…

beamers

No idea, but someone here might know.

That’s where I go to get all my Mac questions answered if I get no joy on here.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Disable the show airport in menu bar option it may stop it continually scanning every two minutes if that doesnt work reset the p ram

bob_summers

cheers, will give that a shot now.

MrNutt
    Free Member

did it work?

prettygreenparrot

network properties in the system preferences. delete the network you want to connect to if it is in the list. Connect next time as if it were a new network and ask that the machine remembers it. Should be fine. How’s the signal strength on the network? If it gets low or there’s interference that can cause problems.

carbon337
    Free Member

Also try hard setting the wireless channel from Auto to something like 11.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing ever goes wrong with Macs.

There is no problem.

Move along.

bob_summers

cheers for replies. tried everything and i think deleting the network from the preferred list made a bit of a difference, but i still get dropouts for the first few minutes. i changed the channel with no luck but maybe i need to try them all.

not a massive problem, but weird how it will connect to other routers fine, but has an issue with this one. conversely the router works fine with my other stuff.

might stick a linux partition on it, see how it works then…

dr_death
    Free Member

I had a similar problem a few months back. If you look on some of the Mac forums it is a recognised problem (by everyone other than Apple).

I found the cure was to restart the wireless network from scratch i.e. Change the SSID, change the password, change the channel. I seem to recall there was an issue with one of the types of password encryption (WEP, WPA2 or somesuch) but can’t quite recall what off the top of my head. Mine is now WPA2 though and it seems to have cured the problem….

bob_summers

i tried a couple of different flavours of encryption but didn’t see any improvement. i could certainly try a router reset and set up the network again from scratch. i’d like to bin the router and use one of my spares, but unfortunately it’s cable…

MrNutt
    Free Member

it is a recognised problem (by everyone other than Apple).

and that ladies and gentlemen is the reason I hate Apple.

Cougar

i’d like to bin the router and use one of my spares, but unfortunately it’s cable…

Use the existing router as a cable modem, disable WiFi, connect your spare in front of it as a switch / WiFi point. You’ll have to disable DHCP on one or the other, probably easiest doing it on the new one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘macbook problems.. airport unstable 'til it 'warms up'’ is closed to new replies.