Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Macbook Pro to HDMI LCD – any benefit for thunderbolt or HDMI?
  • cjr61

Hi,

Is there any benefit in using a Mini DP to HDMI cable or should I just go HDMI-HDMI cable? The benefit to the mini DP is that it’s on the correct side of the laptop so minimises cable fuss! Assume picture and sound is the same?

Thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Check the sound works, on my 2009 Mini and wife’s 2012 MBP the mini-DP to HDMI does NOT carry the sound, we have to connect that separately via a jackplug. If you have an MBP with an HDMI out I would use that as that’s what its for 😉

cjr61

OK, I wasn’t sure about the sound.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I thought the mini-DP carried audio from 2010. Do you not just need to switch to the monitor device in the audio output options?

EDIT https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202079

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Three_Fish – I don’t know, will try that on the MBP

cjr61

Awesome, mini dp to humid it is then! Thanks all

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I have a 2014 MBP, which I plug into the TV to play movies. I just use an HDMI cable, sound and pictures both fine. Saves fiddling around with adapters, but if the Mini DP works for you, then why not.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Something not mentioned here is the resolution support. MacBook Pros supports 2560 by 1600 pixels on 30″ external monitors but it will only do that, if you use the Mini Display Port to Dual Link DVI adapter.

One of these

All other connections will only support up to 1920 x 1200.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Macbook Pro to HDMI LCD – any benefit for thunderbolt or HDMI?’ is closed to new replies.