Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Macbook Pro and gaming
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m kind of toying with buying an xbox one or PS4 but yesterday I had a ‘hang on a minute’ moment. We bought a Macbook Pro late last year and basically just use it for email, net surfing, kids homework etc. It’s a pretty powerful machine (?) which is very much underused.
    Question, is the Macbook any good for gaming? I would like FIFA football, GTA5 and Elite thats about it to be honest. Are any of these available on the Mac? What similar games are if not? Controllers? Obviously I haven’t got a clue on this at all and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Edit: Just seen Cougars thread on Battlefield 1, wow just wow!

stevious

I think the games you mention would require a windows partition as they’re not available on OSX. Have a look at the Steam store for an idea of what’s available.

I use an Xbox 360 controller on my mac for the odd game. My 2011 MBP coped fine with games like Batman Arkham City and Hitman Absolution.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just buy a PS4 or an Xbox

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

just buy a PS4 or an Xbox

Yeah I’m kind of getting to that conclusion

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Mac’s are rubbish at many things and gaming’s one of them.

I assume using boot camp / virtual machine you can run games but I doubt they’d work well due to drivers, limitations of boot camp or other.

I’m a bit of a PC gamer / geek so the most I can really tell you about gaming on a Mac is that most don’t. I’m sure a quick Google will tell you why.

Sandwich

You can also have a look at GOG for Mac gaming ideas. They all hae a tool to run an assessment on your machine to check on suitability.

stevious

I think mr coldplay is a bit misleading there. THe hardware is capable of gaming (same chips/graphics as a decent windows laptop) but not many people develop for OSX as a platform. Probably due to being a relatively small market for gaming.

That said, if I was going to do loads of gaming I’d still probably just get a console.

Drac

Just buy a PS4 and be done.

Cougar

I think mr coldplay is a bit misleading there. THe hardware is capable of gaming (same chips/graphics as a decent windows laptop) but not many people develop for OSX as a platform. Probably due to being a relatively small market for gaming.

Agreed, though the result is the same regardless of reason.

I’d ask your mates whether any of them have got PS4s or Ones and follow the majority.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Stevious – nobody said anything about hardware, it’s the limitations of emulating that makes it a PITA. Although actually, yes, the hardware is limiting insofar as installing another vendors operating system on it is impossible in the conventional sense.

loddrik
    Free Member

I just use steam on mine. Although admittedly the games I play aren’t the latest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Macbook Pro and gaming’ is closed to new replies.