Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Macbook – Choices Choices
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Having run a standard (white) macbook for the past year and a bit, I’m looking at getting one of the new unibody aluminium ones, so its choices time. (plus I’m getting it on the higher education deal, so saving a little money)

Tempted to go for the higher spec one, with the backlit keyboard but wondering it its worth the extra money over the standard one? Alternatively, for pretty much the same as that one I could get an air with an external drive (its going to be my only computer, but its not like I need to burn discs on the move or anything!)

would an air really leave me missing out on anything?

catshoe
    Free Member

biggest problem with Air would be hard disc size – having just run out of room and slung a 250gb disc into my white macbook (which BTW was dead easy)

I think either of the alu macbooks represent a decent speed increase over the white ones, although personally if I had the choice I might this time go for a pro with a slightly bigger screen

soma_rich
    Free Member

I thought it was generally excepted that the air sucked. Bad cooling, slow, overpriced(or is that all Macs)?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

the new alu macbooks dont use firewire apparently!

only difference between the two is HDD size and backlit keyboard as previously mentioned…….i’d save some ££££’s and get the cheaper of the 2!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Zulu; might you be looking to flog your current one?

Just need something small and portable, to replace the lump of a PC lappy I currently have.

mboy
    Free Member

Much as I love Mac’s, DO NOT GET A MACBOOK AIR! They’re gash!

Overpriced, under specced, and all for what? I computer that’s 19mm Thick when a Macbook is only 25mm, and has the same footprint. Honestly, everyone I know that’s into Mac’s is disgusted Apple even considered the Air, let alone released it!

What’s wrong with your old MacBook that a bigger hard drive and more RAM wouldn’t fix anyway? If it’s only a year old it’s still going to be plenty good enough.

Kuco

I was going to get one of the new macbook’s but after playing with one I personally didn’t get on with the keyboard. So I got a Refurb macbook pro with the old style keyboard. 15 widescreen dual 2.5ghz, 250gig hard drive and 512mb graphics card for £1025.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I like the new ones, but need a Firewire port for a DV camera. And the 13″ ones don’t have FW. The 15″ is too big for me. The Air is lovely; really nice and light, but I’m not paying that. Overpriced fashion-symbol.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Overpriced fashion-symbol

isnt that all macs?

soma_rich
    Free Member

They ain’t biting

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Not at all. My Mac Pro came in at almost a grand less than a similarly-specced Dell piece of shit, at the time. Actually, Dell didn’t yet have the same processors in, so it would have been a 2-month wait. Apple sorted out a custom spec job in 1 week.

And value wise, Macs tend to last longer, ime.

Anyway, I’m sure there are other brands! For my purpose, a Mac is perfect. money well spent.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

that flew right over my head rich??? lol

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh, I see! Bugger. 😐

soma_rich
    Free Member

he he

catshoe
    Free Member

but Macs are lovely…….don’t be mean…….

seriously, back to the original question, out of the new alu ones, ain’t one 2.0 ghz and the other 2.4? And from the reviews supposed to be faster than the 2.2 white ones by some amount? And they have much better graphics than the white ones

mboy has a point though about upgrading what you have – having upped my white 2.16 to 2gb ram and the HDD to 250, I guess that’s what I have done, but still would get a new one if I could…..

richtea
    Free Member

don’t bother with the backlit keyboard – complete waste of money and only serves to suck more juice from the battery

epo-aholic
    Free Member

yup!
    macs look nice and cost lots

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Macbook – Choices Choices’ is closed to new replies.