Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MacBook charger help!
  • mactheknife

Can anyone recommend a seller apart from Ebay that sells charger for a MacBook Pro 2014 that wont cost my weekly wages. I know they are expensive parts but £65 on amazon etc is beyond mental. I know its an Apple tax etc but any recommendations would be good.

Oh and if anyone owns Degus, a word of warning. If they get out their cage they will destroy every lead that is powering your devices. Every bloody one. And not die in the process. They have rodent superpowers. I kid you not.

zilog6128

For whatever reason (magnetic bit patented maybe?) I’m not aware of anyone who does a quality replacement so you either have to suck up the £65 or go down the eBay route (which I wouldn’t recommend as you just don’t know what you’re getting).

woody74

There aren’t any aftermarket versions due to the magsafe plug patent. I have tried a couple of eBay ones and they were terrible. Truly a fire waiting to happen.

mactheknife

Ok cheers guys, these bloody pets are a nightmare!! 🙂 ta

jam-bo

Which wire is chewed, the 240v side is replaceable.

And if it’s the other side, cut the damaged section out and reterminate. It’s only two wires.

hammyuk
    Free Member

House insurance – accidental damage.
    Just don’t mention the pet…

jeff

Have seen fake replacements – look about the same, but weigh less than half. With a bit of a rattle when shaken…

Drac

I’ve used eBay ones and they’ve been flawless.

somouk
    Free Member

And if it’s the other side, cut the damaged section out and reterminate. It’s only two wires.

I’ve done that for a friend before and they’ve had no issues. I just put shrink wrap over the join once soldered.

jambalaya
    Free Member

House insurance – accidental damage.
    Just don’t mention the pet

and people wonder why insurance is so expensive

OP buy the Apple replacement it will help the resale value

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

My Dad bought a Lavolta branded one from Amazon and seemed ok. Got about a year or so out of it before it died. £30-ish I think.

You want to check the reviews of Apple’s own chargers on Apple. They’re usually 1 star across the board.

mactheknife

Cheers all 🙂 bought the bullet and splashed the cash on one. The misses in her infinite wisdom decided to bin the charger when i was away with work 😯 and yes they are her bloody pets.

Jambo that link is perfect for future degu escapee destruction.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MacBook charger help!’ is closed to new replies.