Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MacBook and NTL/Virgin email
  • Hadge
    Free Member

I got my new MacBook, set it up to the wireless network instantly, could I get the email to work – not a chance! Called the nice people at Virgin Media and after a few long phone calls absolutely nothing. Was put in touch with Apple Support and guess what – still nothing after trying endless settings and changes. I rang Virgin Media again in the evening and again after many changes to settings etc they gave up and that was that.
    I woke this morning and thought sod it, change my email provider. So I set up with gmail and sorted – instantly! What an utter utter ball ache. Why didn’t I do this ages ago grrr. Now my iPhone and Mac are working perfect and what a relief. The stupid thing was Orange who are my mobile network couldn’t sort the email out on my phone either. I could receive emails on the NTL setting but I couldn’t send out. So I had the stupid way of using a Yahoo account to reply to any emails I got on my phone. What is it with the old NTL and Virgin email settings that are a pain in the arse, has anyone else had problems like this?

Jamie
    Free Member

I am a NTL/Virgin customer. I have also used Gmail since its inception.

mrmo
    Free Member

i am a telewest/virgin customer and what i find odd is that i can get POP to work but not IMAP but it is based on gmail which i can get both to work fine?

Just use forwarding now and stick to the gmail account.

_tom_
    Free Member

Were you trying to use Mail for the email? I’ve always had problems with it, it’s a bit rubbish. Thunderbird always works pretty flawlessly 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Were you trying to use Mail for the email? I’ve always had problems with it, it’s a bit rubbish. Thunderbird always works pretty flawlessly

Tom, I think it’s time you stopped using a Mac. You seem to be unable to use it properly 😉

Cougar

Better to avoid ISP-provided email anyway; you’ll lose it if / when you change providers. It’s not like there’s a shortage of alternatives.

Hadge
    Free Member

Very true Cougar it’s just I’ve always been with NTL/Virgin since I hooked up to the net.

_tom_
    Free Member

Tom, I think it’s time you stopped using a Mac. You seem to be unable to use it properly

😀 I only use it when I need to use FCP. Mail just wouldn’t work with my POP3 (I think?) email account. Thunderbird worked first time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MacBook and NTL/Virgin email’ is closed to new replies.