Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • MacBook Air vs Macbook Pro —— any thoughts ?
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

Ok, I need a laptop badly. Here’s what I need it for. I do Exec Search, so I need something to be able to hook onto the internet to search for candidates through LinkedIn mainly when I’m not in the office. I need to use Excel and Word, though not for any big fancy power spreadsheets, just as a method of storing say name and company name and job title of candidates with a link through to whatever research I have done on them. I need it to be light as I’m lazy. Oh and I like to spend a lot of time surfing bikes !!!

In an ideal world I would also use it to replace my desktop as I hate PC’s, but what I do at the office is exactly the same, although I also do invoicing there. I would hook it up to my desktop screen and keyboard and mouse and go from there. Oh and I already have everything stored on an external HDD so don’t need a massive disc. I have an iMac that we use as a family and I love it. So Apple it is.

But which one ?? The Air appeals massively as it seems so light, but I’ve heard that they can be a bit lacking in oomph, but the Pro is a kilo heavier (I walk from one side of London to the other on and off tubes to interviews all the time) so that is a bit of a faff.

What’s the thinking here good peeps ?? I don’t “game”, I would like to watch videos (but I have plenty on itunes so don’t need a CD drive, but it would be handy, can you hook up one to an Air ??

Any thoughts, helpful or otherwise would be great, it seems I can get an 11″ Air for the same sort of money as a 13″ Pro.

Thanks all
    Sean

grum
    Free Member

For doing spreadsheets etc and browsing the net you don’t really need the oomph – I’d get the Air in your shoes.

IA

Air isn’t lacking in oomph. A modern air will have a faster CPU than anything of 2 years ago, and most things of recent times.

In real world use it’ll feel faster than *anything* that uses a regular HDD.

Get the MBA11.

cp

Air

IA

Oh, one thing that might matter: battery is significantly better on the MBP13 than the air. Air gets about 3-4hrs depending, more like 6-8 on the MBP.

I often take my MBP13 into work and don’t bother bringing a charger, if I’m not doing heavy CPU work I can use it all day. My GF’s MBA11 wouldn’t last that long.

I’d still have the Air mind, and if the sandy bridge airs had been out when I got my MBP, i’d have a maxed out MBA instead.

MrSmith
    Free Member

air, you don’t need a pro as you are not a ‘power user’*

*my definition of a power user is processing 80mpixel raws to 16bit tiff, grading native HD footage in Photoshop and moving it back to final cut(no proxies) and retouching 16 bit files 2-4gb in size.

the ssd in an air will seem really snappy after a slow 5500rpm ordinary drive.

roadiesean
    Free Member

MrSmith, I don’t even understand what you said there, so that is definitely not me !!!!

And IA – sandy bridge Airs ??? que ??

So it looks like an Air all the way……

Still a bit pricey compared to anything that runs MS….

MrSmith
    Free Member

have you fondled one? if you don’t want one after doing so you are Trajicjeremy and above all that marketing/emotional purchasing bullsh*t.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d say the air for you. The pro really is quite a heavy machine.

IA

Sandy bridge is the second gen of the intel i5/i7 cpus, it was a big processing power jump.

Really? What’s the same size and power and cheaper with windows on?

Yes, you could get cheaper, but the air’s good value. Quality matters to me, but then I appreciate it doesn’t matter to everyone.

Also, for a machine for work, it’s nice with an apple you can book an appointment, and take it into any apple store to get fixed if there are problems.

roadiesean
    Free Member

I love your thinking guys. Jobs done, Air is on order !!! Thanks heaps.

Sean 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

oops, look like someone beat me to it, but to echo the point, Macbook Airs are actually very good value compared to Windows equivalent “Ultrabooks”. You’ve got to compare apples with apples (pun intended) 🙂

cp

hope you saved a few quid by using the refurb store

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

🙂

bigrich

I’ve got both. HTH

Jamie
    Free Member

OP, did you go for the new Ivy Bridge model, or get one of the discounted Sandby Bridge ones?*

*Running at about £200 off in John Lewis for 13″ 128gb.

grum
    Free Member

My GF has an ‘ultraportable’ PC laptop that cost significantly more than a Macbook Air and it’s nowhere near as fast or as good to use, and it’s ugly to boot.

Jamie
    Free Member

Still a bit pricey compared to anything that runs MS…

The MBA goes for roughly the market rate. If anything comparable Sony ‘ultrabooks’ will set you back a lot more. The Asus Zenbook, Dell XPS 13 and Samsung Series 9 will all cost over a grand.

…the Zenbook and Series 9 are lovely looking machines, with better screens, though. Just no ivy bridge refresh yet.

roadiesean
    Free Member

I had to go out, so nothing has been done yet, whats the difference between the ivy bridge and the sandy bridge one ?? don’t forget I am not a power user (already well and truly ascertained !!!!) nor am I anything but a complete luddite donut 😉

And are the refurbed ones safe to spend that sort of money on ? I like the idea of £640 rather than £850 !

CountZero

I was looking at the new Pro in Bath today. OMZG! The screen is stunning, and it’s so thin and light, compared to my eight year old MacBook, which is like a breeze block in comparison.

samuri
    Free Member

Sold out for a while yet though.

roadiesean
    Free Member

So then, do I go for…..http://www.johnlewis.com/231342430/Product.aspx

or……

http://www.johnlewis.com/231656825/Product.aspx

£80 difference, but does the new processor make that much difference ?

cp

Refurbed are basically new. Returned orders and the like. Ivybridge not worth worrying about for you. It’s main change from previous is a smaller internal architecture, which makes it a bit less power hungry, and more suited to smaller devices. Speed improvement is relatively tiny compared to previous versions, and a lot less of an improvement than many were expecting.

cp
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’d get the Air and I wouldn’t bother with Microsoft – I’d just use Google Docs.

Jamie
    Free Member

neither, this one

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC968B/A

Personally, I would rather spend the extra £140 and get a 128gb SSD, extra 2gig of ram (4gb total) as well as 2 years unlimted returns warranty supplied my John Lewis.

…or you could take your chances and order a new one through the HE store and get 15% off, a £70 gift voucher and 3 years free AppleCare.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘MacBook Air vs Macbook Pro —— any thoughts ?’ is closed to new replies.