Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Macaroni Cheese
  • rj
    Free Member

I’ve got my 85 year old aunt coming for lunch on Sunday and I’m planning on doing macaroni cheese.
    I generally do a garlic roux, with white whine, mustard and cheddar, gruyerre, stilton and mozzarrella. Any recommendations to improve on that?

RustySpanner

white whine, mustard and cheddar, gruyerre, stilton and mozzarrella

I had an aunty like that.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some boiled egg chopped up and some pancetta with heaps of pamesan and black pepper.

Royston
    Free Member

I lace mine with roughly chopped bits of bacon then grilled tomatoes and sunflower seeds on the top.

I_Ache
    Free Member

RJ that sounds lush. Can I come around too?

willej

I generally do a garlic roux, with white whine, mustard and cheddar, gruyerre, stilton and mozzarrella. Any recommendations to improve on that?

That sir, is one of the most pretentious lists of macaroni cheese ingredients I’ve ever seen! One or two cheeses, certainly not Stilton, and the single most brilliant thing that can be added: Slices of (packet, not jar) frankfurter. Thinly sliced tomato on top of extra cheese and a few twists of black pepper then grill to golden, sizzling perfection.

tonyd

Lardons. All though the frankfurter thing sounds nice.

That sir, is one of the most pretentious lists of macaroni cheese ingredients I’ve ever seen!

+1, especially the stilton too overpowering shirley?

colournoise

All too fancy. Macaroni cheese is a ‘purist’ meal for me. Simple cheese sauce (strong cheddar) with the only additions being copious amounts of black pepper and some grain mustard. No meats, tomatoes or other such fripperies in there, and just a touch of parmesan and some breadcrumbs (panko if you want to be fancy) in with the topping cheese to give a bit of texture.

qtip

Exactly what colour noise said. Then mix in some Tommy K to taste when served – boom!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Macaroni Cheese’ is closed to new replies.